Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice vis Dan, was that recent?
Where is your entry point for that dive, from the jetties?
John

John,
This was yesterday.
There is a perimeter road that faces the time shares along the beach, just south of the Ocean mall. At the end of that road, there is a chain preventing you from going to the extreme end, abutting the jetty and sidewalk on top of it. When you stand on the sidewalk on top of the jetty, and face East over the ocean--to the east end of the jetty and the pumphouse, the distance is about 100 yards....You do have to carry your gear this distance, but once at the pumphouse, you can set up and do a beach entry much like at the BHB.

The point has so much life on it, that many divers could spend an hour or two just at the extreme east end of the rocks, with no need to do the run down the jetty and back. For anyone unsure of getting themselves way down the jetty and then having trouble getting back, the solution is to do the first dive just at the point, and the next add maybe 100 feet or so of jetty before turning back...and then each successive trip try a little further. I have been doing this since the late 70's, so my opinion on how hard or easy this is should be fairly irrelevant to most :)

The only challenge to me for this dive, is the parking and drop off. I have actually found one local that lives a stones throw away from the end of the road...good for me and my buddies, but it does not help the rest of the BHB crowd....which is why I am trying to get the bike taxi thing going right away..great for the BHB, and great for the Pumphouse.

If you had a friend that was completely selfless and a non-divers, you might get them to drop you off at the end of the steet, and pick you up later....My warning is that the local Barney Fife has little better to do than patrol for parking violations, and he will see you as attempting to park or STAND if you do any thing more than jump out and go....meaning you would almost have to gear up at pura vida or the bridge, and then get shuttled over.
Again, the bike taxis would fix this completely, as they could drive right into the area closed to motorized vehicles, and the harassment during loading/unloading could not occur.

This also works great for snorkeling/freediving, in which case you could take a paddleboard from Pura Vida and paddle from the BHB to the end of the jetty, and tow the paddleboard with a dive flag on it....easy for snorkeling...putting a tank on one might be easy, but someone would need to figure out all the issues.

Dan-
Thanks for the good information.
I was looking at it on google earth and I did not see any parking (legally) or a clear entry point.
If I get that selfless friend I think he can drive my boat and after an hour he can follow us back down the jetty to the bridge.....
The point looked more interesting than the way in though.:D
John

Jenny-
Damm, missed your post. That really sucks. How bad did it flood? Is the camera savable?

blenny bloopers

camera flooded this morning...

Yuck! Sorry.

Posted some Sailfin Blenny pics at Flickr: IMG_5380wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kevin

IMG_5422wa.jpg

May be my computer but they seemed out of focus on the Flickr, they are tough to catch just right.
Keep trying to get back there but get sidetracked too easily....
John

I think I caught the flooding pretty quick. Dumped the water out and kept it on the surface until we finished the dive. Not much water in the housing after the dive, so it didn't reflood. Friend gave me some info on fixing flooded electronics, and am trying it out.. also looking on ebay for a camera. If you know of anybody that has an OLY sp-350 they don't want anymore and are willing to get rid of it at a ridiculous price, I am interested..

Sailfin blenny.. very cool..
Did see a spotted soapfish this morning and what appeared to be a mating pair of glasseye gobies or some type of blenny.. one looked like a glasseye, but the other was red on top, white through the middle, and black on the bottom. Very cool...we watched them for quite a while. Buddy should be posting photos soon..

Thank you. I did not know that existed. If you time the tide correctly, how much before and after time can you get?

Also, depth, access point and can this be shown on a map such as Google Earth please?

Is this a no take zone?

Can you dispatch lion fish here?

Pretty sure you would not be harassed if you shot a lion fish with the lion tamer or other lionfish specific tool. Most of the Agencies should be well aware of the lionfish threat present in the inlet.
I don't think you can spear here legally--ask Dumpster Diver to weigh in on this ...I used to spear here back in the late 70's, and it was awesome--some days back then there would be massive schools of grouper, and after you shot 4 or 5 in a 5 minute period, you would have 60 or more little 4 foot spinner sharks all over you :)
Depth range is 12 to 22 feet. I get in up to 2 hours early, and let the tide carry me in and down the jetty. If you want a free ride back, you need to be in long enough for the tide to turn. Only complication on return is that if you wait till it is really cranking, like 1 hour past peak high tide, you better have enough air left to do hand over hand on the rocks at the bottom, for when you do a 180 and come around the point of rocks...the current wants to take you out to Mid reef :)

No, it hasn't changed. It's still illegal. .

Just to clarify, as long as they are harvested in accordance with the State of Florida Regulations, it is not illegal an take spiny lobster from the BHB area. Local FWC officers agree.

Legality aside most lobsters I see at the bridge are shorts but that may not matter to some people.....
Emerald or Hypanautical charters can put you on your limit of big ones.
Both are great to dive or hunt with.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom