Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aim to please

I'll hold my breath for the video. *And*, my Google search turned up yer "saddled stargazer", pictured below. I've seen those little stuffed animals in the dive shops. No such thing, of course.

Stargazer Saddle

View attachment 126628Kevin :D

Well Kev to help you out here are a few more......

Attachments

• untitled-201206095721.jpg
    untitled-201206095721.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 69
  • untitled-201206095735.jpg
    untitled-201206095735.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 76
  • untitled-201206095739.jpg
    untitled-201206095739.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 88
No flagrant disregard here, just the opposite. Since I find it not uncommon for you and others to provide misinformation, I just want to clear things up with a dose of accuracy.

Unlike yourself, most of us feel the Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park is a spectacular resource, that each of us should help to protect....that does NOT mean telling collectors and spearfisherman that there are places "near" BHB they could "get-away with" spearfishing or collecting.
Soap box time..... In fact, divers who don't have a valid Florida Fishing License or possess fishing gear, should take a moment and thank all those who do make such a purchase. Go to google and type in Wallop-Breaux Act or Dingell-Johnson Tax. You will see it those engaged in LEGAL sport fishing activities pay HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS annually in taxes, which go back to preserve the resource. I know of no such tax or fee of any kind, paid by divers to use the resource.
What I see is the majority of the funds raised is directly related to the costs of the fishing lobby removing fish from the ocean, and the reduction of damage caused by fishing and boating. So they really SHOULD BE PAYING !
Divers without fishing licenses, still contribute by supporting dive charter boats, which pay taxes, and by charitable contributions, which are commonly made by divers. Divers tend to be very eco-conscious, and this in no way suggests that fisherman are not.

One of the problems here is that most of us on scubaboard feel that the act of collecting or spearfishing in or near the Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park, is self indulgent, ecologically bad, and in terms of the collective social good, the collecting or spearfishing in or near, is a criminal violation of a public resource that the VAST MAJORITY want protected.

Many of us are not against spearfishing at all. I spearfished practically every time I dove through the 80's and nineties. But I did it far from the crowds of recreational divers who would be hurt by seeing Bambi killed, and I did it in deep water where the fish stocks were huge. Any spearfisherman I have ever dove with, would be embarrassed to even know somone that would spearfish along a public beach or in a shallow marine park area like the BHB. That would be only for the worst spearfisherman, the most cowardly, with the least skills, the least morals, and for people with an absolute contempt for the majority of users that are offended by this activity.

My Mom is Rustie Stuke. She was the Aquatic Director at the YWCA, and taught NAUI for many years. We were best friends with Frank and Sue, along with folks like Stan Waterman, and Alma Beck and Ron Rankin. Rustie was one of Stan's first female NAUI Instructors from Freeport. We did some of the first charters from Florida to Cayman and elsewhere with the Palm Beach Fin Divers and Orlando Otters, along with a handful of cancer jockeys from MD Anderson in Houston. We also ran a small charter to the Bahamas on a regular basis. I have been diving since I was 7, which was 1968. Frank used to laugh at my little 40's, but I always outlasted him..

You might get a kick out of this Bob. Maybe you've seen it.
couple years ago, I was googling Frank and found this story written by Dan Volker.

The South Florida Dive Journal

I stole part of it for my sig, but never made the connection until Dan PM'd me and complimented me on the sig, lol.
Hell, maybe you were one of the divers.

And for those non stargazer obsessives:
(extra points for those who can id cardinalfish hanging with octo in picture 3)

Attachments

• untitled-201206095571.jpg
    untitled-201206095571.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 73
  • untitled-201206095610.jpg
    untitled-201206095610.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 71
  • untitled-201206095636.jpg
    untitled-201206095636.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 75
  • untitled-201206095644.jpg
    untitled-201206095644.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 98
  • untitled-201206095668.jpg
    untitled-201206095668.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 71
  • untitled-201206095783.jpg
    untitled-201206095783.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 80
You might get a kick out of this Bob. Maybe you've seen it.
couple years ago, I was googling Frank and found this story written by Dan Volker.

The South Florida Dive Journal

I stole part of it for my sig, but never made the connection until Dan PM'd me and complimented me on the sig, lol.
Hell, maybe you were one of the divers.

Thanks for the mention :) Just noticed the video at the end of the article, showing the Cave, is long gone.....I can't edit the old issues quickly, so for the moment, here is a cave video shot in the last year.... HOLE in the wall - YouTube

And for those non stargazer obsessives:
(extra points for those who can id cardinalfish hanging with octo in picture 3)

Nice pics. Especially like the nudi!

The water was clear and blue - vis easily 30-40 ft. It got a little milky at the end, as always.

kinda nasty viz on the west site of about 10-15 feet.

Wow Jim were we diving in the same ocean yesterday?!? Seriously, sorry I missed you. I parked way east of where I normally do - which was fine for my dive plan.

I finally got a nice poser:

6-115.jpg 6-116.jpg

Wow Jim were we diving in the same ocean yesterday?!? Seriously, sorry I missed you. I parked way east of where I normally do - which was fine for my dive plan.

View attachment 126681 View attachment 126682

Wow, I wondered if we were in the same ocean too. Someone else said a few days ago that the east was good when we had pretty lousy viz on the west--I guess we need to go east again!! Maybe today.............

Nice pics. Especially like the nudi!
Thanks.
Kelly spent a lot of time with it.
Biggest I've seen.
Lets hope this is a size trend for the visually impaired among us
:D:D:D
John

---------- Post added ----------

Attachments

• untitled-201206095771.jpg
    untitled-201206095771.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 172
Thanks.
Kelly spent a lot of time with it.
Biggest I've seen.
Lets hope this is a size trend for the visually impaired among us
:D:D:D
John

I'm gonna have to start stalking you......

View attachment 126681 View attachment 126682

Nice pictures Joanie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom