Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ciliated False Squillae

Extremely cool video!

My last couple of encounters have been with green ones. Last time I was stuck with a 10-17mm lens.

Kevin

IMG_8645wa.jpgIMG_8655wa.jpgIMG_7258wa.jpg

OK. Due to rain and promises of another date we skipped the dive tonight but my wife helped me "hack the matrix" and we posted some videos.
This is the Mantis Shrimp and puffer fish I posted about from last Tuesday.
Sorry it is kind of long I wanted to include the full behavior.
John

BHB Mantis and Puffer on Vimeo

at about 2:19 he figures how to leverage him against a shell and it's all she wrote........

Kev-
I am no ID expert but I think your post title is another name for what we rednecks call a Bobbit Worm.
As for Mantis Shrimp, we have seen them in about every imaginable color.
What I find amazing is the electric blues or reds my wife's strobes bring out in still photos that I never see in real life or video......

I'm still waiting to find my first Bobbit Worm. Not even sure I really want to even find one of those nasty looking things. Unless Humann and DeLoach have it wrong, the title oughta be about right. I've only seen a few of these Mantis thingies, but the strobes definitely find colors that I don't see on my own. They're some of my favorite critters. I love their eyes. Still, I'm happy *whenever* I actually find something *in* one of those dern holes in the sand. I'm almost inspired enough to get to work on some of the videos *I've* shot at the bridge. . .

Kevin

Kev-
I am no ID expert but I think your post title is another name for what we rednecks call a Bobbit Worm.
As for Mantis Shrimp, we have seen them in about every imaginable color.
What I find amazing is the electric blues or reds my wife's strobes bring out in still photos that I never see in real life or video......

Sorry Kev, your right.
I was thinking of Eunice aphroditois. The video editing has taken its toll on me......
We have seen Bobbit worms numerous time at the bridge but they hate light so video is none too easy.
My better half has gotten some nice pictures though.
John

How's the weather looking for this Friday, gonna be down in Boca for the weekend and planning on heading up there on Friday. Where is the tide chart? and it's about an hour before high tide right?

How's the weather looking for this Friday, gonna be down in Boca for the weekend and planning on heading up there on Friday. Where is the tide chart? and it's about an hour before high tide right?

Hi tide Friday is 08:44 and yes it is good to be in about 30-60 minutes before slack hi tide. This east wind might have knocked the viz a bit but you should still have some as the wind will diminish as the week progresses.

Here is a fairly good tide chart for the bridge: http://www.protides.com/florida/2157/2012/03/

click at the top to get the correct month and hover your mouse over the day to get the tide times

You might want to check here and see if there are any viz reports before you make the trek up on Friday.

Last edited:
I might have to hit you up for some pointers on that video editing thing. Would be happy to take you out to dinner some night next week in exchange for some tips. . .

Kevin

Sorry Kev, your right.
I was thinking of Eunice aphroditois. The video editing has taken its toll on me......
We have seen Bobbit worms numerous time at the bridge but they hate light so video is none too easy.
My better half has gotten some nice pictures though.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom