Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a garden growing on the sponge in my sink. Does that count? What if I transfer it to my pool?:babycrawl:

MB:
There is a garden growing on the sponge in my sink. Does that count? What if I transfer it to my pool?:babycrawl:

Ok wait. The sponge garden is in MB's sink??? Are you talking about the upside down kitchen sink where the big octopus hides?!? That's nowhere near the boat channel!

Ok wait. The sponge garden is in MB's sink??? Are you talking about the upside down kitchen sink where the big octopus hides?!? That's nowhere near the boat channel!
Jet you've been dry too long..you aren't reading posts properly. Although not a doctor, I'd recommend breathing compressed air for at least 100 minutes as soon as possible.

Jet you've been dry too long..you aren't reading posts properly. Although not a doctor, I'd recommend breathing compressed air for at least 100 minutes as soon as possible.

Would you willing to put that in writing for my boss? (BTW were you up there today?)

I once recommended wearing her mask in the bathtub or shower, but she totally pooh-poohed the idea....

Ya know ... there are so many directions we can take this I don't even know where to start.

That's my standard place to stay when I visit the bridge when I come down by myself. Perfectly fine for me, but my sometimes dive buddy refuses to stay there. :D I typically find what the "internet discount rate" is and then call them and see if they'll match it. They always have. 50 sounds high, in my experience. :D

Kevin

I 've never stayed there, but my wife and I were pleasantly surprised by the Travelodge up the road...
Travelodge Riviera Beach/West Palm‎
3651 West Blue Heron Boulevard
Riviera Beach, FL 33404

(561) 844-2601

We stayed in a ground floor handicap accessible room for a night last year on our way through the area. I think it cost around $50.
nice big room, clean, large enough shower to hang two sets of dripping gear.

It was a pleasant upgrade compared to the dank, cramped quarters we had stayed in at the The Pelican in Key Largo for a few nights of diving.

Would you willing to put that in writing for my boss? (BTW were you up there today?)

Ya know ... there are so many directions we can take this I don't even know where to start.

I thought I already had put it in writing.
Jim Wilder, B.V., M.A.T, A.A.G.E.

50 sounds high, in my experience. :D

We were down on a holiday weekend. And to be totally honest, I don't think we paid a full $50, but somewhere in the 40s.

I saw an internet listing for them for $39, but it was a couple days after the holiday rush.

Weekend Report

My wife and had had another set of great if somewhat freezing dives this weekend.
As some of you who have met us know, we have been very lucky finding some cryptic critters at the bridge while others (dam frogfish) remain elusive.
High on my remaining list (with apologies to the hundreds of variegated urchins) was the bumblebee shrimp.
We started early Sat morning just beating the closure of Blue Heron Blvd. for the MLK parade.... and found ourselves braving the 70 degree water to great vis and biting wind.
While playing out front we found more seahorses, some beautiful large golden pipefish and the usual players.
As we worked over to the west span I saw my wife's telltale rapid fire strobe blaze meaning she had found something especially cool.
I arrived to find the motherload of bumblebee shrimp, roughly 10 running around this urchin. Some where large as BB shrimp go.
While shooting video my tech is often to stay motionless for long periods while creeping closer till the subjects get comfortable with my presence and go back to some interesting behavior.
This must have worked because while utterly focused videoing two BB shrimp squaring off and having a mock battle my wife said 3 or 4 shrimp where happily climbing all over my camera.
Now for those squat lobsters.......
We saw more BB Sunday as well so hopefully they are back for awhile.
I also had a less enjoyable encounter Sunday when I noticed two young men diving over by the west channel marker carrying a live bait bucket, not seeing any nets I wasn't sure what they were doing so I kinda kept an eye on them long enough to see one grab an arrow crab and motion the other to open the bucket.
I stopped them and had them surface and told them this area was a no take zone and they would be arrested (possible exaggeration) if they returned to shore.
They claimed they didn't know and thanked me for letting them know. They seemed fairly honest (and young) and when they emptied there bucket it was mostly old shells.
Hopefully I handled this correctly, since they appeared cooperative I let it go. There probably should be better signs for the uninformed entering by the lifeguard side.
Anyway, a great couple near 3 hour dives.
Here is a few quick pictures till we can sort thru the rest.
John
DSC_1423.jpg
DSC_1597.jpg

Missed two......
oh, any id on this micro blenny would be appreciated.
John

Attachments

• DSC_1696.jpg
    DSC_1696.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_1479.jpg
    DSC_1479.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back