Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JENNY ROCKS!!!!!!! Great pics too.

And thanks for being late Jet, we were able to buddy up with Jenny for a 131 minute tour.

BHB is absolutely one of the most amazing places to blow bubbles that I have ever been. This was our second trip there and we saw almost everything that was on our list to see, plus a few extra critters to boot. I am sure that we we saw twice as much as we would have going alone, and its because of our excellent dive guide, Jenny.

Next time I am bringing my camera!

We made the short 15hr commute back to VB and were pretty beat when we pulled in last night. Every time I am in your section of the big pond, I swear that I will move there one day! We had 3 GREAT days of diving in south Florida and I already miss it.

thanks, Randy. Was a pleasure diving with you and K8. :D Looking forward to the next time ya'll come back down..

Potential new Troll here. I am planning my first BHB dive coming up on Monday the 9th and wanted to know if the winds are bad on the coast with rough seas does it effect the bridge? Also, for my first time doing the bridge and I will only be doing one tank(HP120):D which side of the bridge is the must see side? If there will be any local divers there on Monday who would love to show the lay of the land, er water, it would be appreciated. I plan on getting alot of pics on this dive.
Good questions onefastpony...
yes the off-shore conditions can effect the bridge viz. Generally it will lower viz a bit especially if there have been a few days of rough winds out of the east and north stirring up the sand near the inlet.
With an HP 120 you should have more gas then time to dive, and I'd suggest starting under the sail boats or the mirror wreck then going east or west. IMHO either side is awesome, stargazers more likely on east and sharptail eel more likely on west but you will see almost everything on either side. West has the advantage of being a drift dive if you do the flats under the sailboats (looking for seahorses and garden eels) the current takes you west to the boat channel, go north between the channel pilings and the bridge pilings and follow to end of channel pilings then head east...this should be about 90+ minutes into the dive, the tide will have started to turn. Being careful about the folks with hooks in the water head under the fishing bridge by the debris field (3rd set of pilings in) and let the current take you back to your entry point. This will be about a 2 hour dive. You will have used your fins about 6 times the whole time lol. I usually suggest this route for 1st timers but as I said either side is great.
I usually plan to be in water with my bouyancy dialed in perfectly about 60 minutes before hi tide. You really must make sure your weight is perfect for this dive and any gear configuration changes have to be compensated for...we do hate silting the area when we are taking photos.
We trolls are an easy bunch to hook up with so if you haven't gotten a buddy before hand just ask when you are setting up. I might have students there that morning other wise I'd bring you on my dive...but feel free to pm me and check.

Last edited:
Sorry we couldn't hang out with you guys. We had to go get Minnie (our Boss, (click on my user profile to see pic)) and get packed up. Thanks again!

You all are very, VERY lucky, to live where you live and be able to dive BHB as much as you do!!!!!!!!:D

Closest I can find in the ID book was a spotted moray but this one has a white not black margin running down the back and a great deal of yellow in the face.
Any ideas? Thanks.
John

Attachments

• DSC_1205.jpg
    DSC_1205.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 151
Is late April or early May a good time to visit BHB? I've heard the Keys are blown out in April.

Is late April or early May a good time to visit BHB? I've heard the Keys are blown out in April.
There is no bad time to visit the BHB. April 4th of last year the water temp was 76 and viz 50, May 17th it was 80...viz 60+ and May 31th it was 81...viz good (it was a night dive), viz will depend on storms off the coast but most of my log enteries show good viz. Last April there were lots of young octopus about too.

Thanks, scubajim1. I need to get a trip on my calendar. Being horizontal in 15' of water drifting around looking for little critters sounds like a great way to spend an hour or two.

Closest I can find in the ID book was a spotted moray but this one has a white not black margin running down the back and a great deal of yellow in the face.
Any ideas? Thanks.
John
It's a spotted moray..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom