Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rats, I wanted to dive it Monday - we were looking at Sunday the 19th or the 20th Monday - Wanted to do Monday because high tide was a little later.

When I read the post - you basically park where you normally park - (but probably the choice right by the bridge spots will be closed) and cross over where you turn into the park to dive after Monday?

Are the bathrooms in operation? They were starting the project last year - or at least looked like they were working on the buildings.

I hope they leave the beach and swimming are open to a degree. One of the things I really like about BHB is there is such a bouillabaisse of people enjoying it.

Any intel would be appreciated. Its been a year since we have been there.

I was under the impresison that the dive site would still be open and you could park in the park and just walk over the crosswalk into the water. hopefully that is still the case

Went to the bridge for diving Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and today. This will cover Saturday and Sunday, I will write another report tomorrow for Monday and today. Arrived 0720 both Saturday and Sunday for 10:29 and 12:06 high tides respectively. It was relatively uncrowded on both days on arrival but the parking lot filled rapidly, however I don't the sheriffs ever closed the entrance, so it wasn't to bad. Did the eastside on both days. Sea temp was 76f, and visibility was 25ft. Spent most of my north of the east span, and when the tide changed I wandered back to the beach to do the algae patches boarding the swim area. Did REEF fish surveys on both days, 62 and 68 species respectively. Made some interesting observations on both days, a Lookdown mixed with the Spadefish under the bridge (Lookdowns love structure but are rare at BHB). A Cesar Grunt (common on reefs but uncommon at BHB). A Sand Stargazer that I can't identify, i.e. it is in the family of Sand Stargazers not the species of Sand Stargazer. A snapping shrimp I can only identify to family and not actual species. A Mushroom Scorpionfish, a live Scallop that seems to have sponge growing around its entirety of its shell, similar to one I posted a few days ago, and beautiful Bandtail Searobin.

Before I post the pictures I would like to mention I ran into Shana Phelan (co owner Pura Vida Divers) at the bridge today, she was meeting with reps from FDOT, its good to see that happening prior to any closure I believe the diving community will be well represented at the upcoming meeting on 3/20. I don't really think FDOT and the contractor have thought this out vis a vis beach access. Like the wise man said, we'll see. Kind of pisses me off that the only reference on FDOT website still has this starting in September or October.

Respectively, Cesar Grunt, Common Atlantic Marginella, Mushroom Scorpionfish, Phoronopsis californica, Snapping Shrimp (species unknown) Sand Stargazer (species unknown),Sand Stargazer (species unknown), Bandtail Searobin, Hitchhiker Anemone, and Sponge Encrusted Scallop
03-11-23 Cesar Grunt.jpeg
03-11-23 Common Atlantic Marginella.jpeg
03-11-23 Mushroom Scorpion.jpeg
03-11-23 Phoronopsis Californica.jpeg
03-11-23 Shrimp1.jpeg
03-11-23 Stargazer.jpeg
03-11-23 Stargazer1.jpeg
03-12-23 Bandtail Searobin.jpeg
03-12-23 Hitchhiker Anemone.jpeg
03-12-23 Scallop.jpeg

Rats, I wanted to dive it Monday - we were looking at Sunday the 19th or the 20th Monday - Wanted to do Monday because high tide was a little later.

When I read the post - you basically park where you normally park - (but probably the choice right by the bridge spots will be closed) and cross over where you turn into the park to dive after Monday?

Are the bathrooms in operation? They were starting the project last year - or at least looked like they were working on the buildings.

I hope they leave the beach and swimming are open to a degree. One of the things I really like about BHB is there is such a bouillabaisse of people enjoying it.

Any intel would be appreciated. Its been a year since we have been there.

I was under the impresison that the dive site would still be open and you could park in the park and just walk over the crosswalk into the water. hopefully that is still the case

From what I understand:
- park remains open
- restrooms are not affected
- area under span closest to the park is closed (north span)
- I think first row of parking is closed
- diving & snorkeling are allowed BUT you have to walk (geared up) from your vehicle, up the hill, cross the busy street at the light in full gear, down a steep set of concrete stairs, and enter at the beach east of the bridge. Do that in reverse after your dive.
- another option is to somehow haul your gear following the same route above to the beach, gear up there, do the reverse after the dive

Both of those options sound like a royal PITA! Crossing busy Blue Heron Blvd is the worst part and the concrete stairs. They’re pretty steep and there’s more than just a few steps. Also keep in mind 1/2 of Blue Heron Blvd will be closed so it will be backed up and busier than normal.

I’m hoping Jeff Nelson at Force-E is successful in convincing them of the need to keep a walk through under the bridge open. Highly unlikely but possible. Jeff can be quite persuasive.

Everything above is what I’ve heard or read but don’t take it as gospel. I’m going to join the meeting Mon 3/20 virtually to learn first hand.

I’ve not heard what time Monday everything begins. Your best bet is to go Sunday, but given that high tide Monday 3/20 is 7:58 am, you may be fine. Or you might be fine to start and then are forced to haul it back up and over on foot after. Who knows!

Latest update from Jeff Nelson at Force-E. They plan to close the bridge Monday 3/20!!! Please be sure and attend this meeting if possible, either in person or virtually. Jeff is pushing to have them leave a section open at all times that divers can use to cross under the bridge to dive. For those of you that use Facebook and are friends with Jeff, he just shared a short video update on his Facebook page. I expect the Force-E Facebook pages will be sharing it as well.
Well That Bites if it happens. Anyone have a good Plan B?

I’m hoping Jeff Nelson at Force-E is successful in convincing them of the need to keep a walk through under the bridge open. Highly unlikely but possible. Jeff can be quite persuasive.
Don't forget, its more than just scuba divers who are going to be impacted here. There are many paddleboarders and kayakers that launch just west of the west lifeguard stand. Are they supposed to carry those across the street and down the stairs. I don't know of a "kayak and paddleboard" shop like Force E and Pura Vida, but I a guessing a few interested parties representing that group will be at the meeting. I am guessing a few "in general beach goers" will show up as well. Are the lifeguards supposed to make the same trek across the street every time they shift watch duty? And how exactly are they going to block off the beach anyway, portable fencing? And who is going to secure it? Is there going to be fulltime security there? Recall two years ago when FDOT put up "no fishing signs" on the east span. Recall how fast the "no fishing signs" were removed. I think if FDOT and its contractor do not do this properly there will be a whole boatload of individuals calling Riveria Beach Council Persons, and Palm Beach County Board Supervisors to complain bitterly.

As for the traffic pattern, that is going to be interesting. Heading east to get into the park, you get in to the turn lane and make a left. But now the left hand turn lane will not be accessible because the lane next to it will be for westbound traffic. In order to make the left you will have to stop, and wait for a break in westbound traffic, with east bound traffic stuck behind you, in the meantime, people are in the crosswalk trying to access the beach. Also think about the boat trailers that come in and out of the park. When exiting the park the bigger boat trailer can't just make a sharp turn to head west, and east they need both lanes east or west to pull out. When they try to pull out now, there will not be enough radius to allow it, in either east or west bound direction. Again while people are walking across the street. NO, SORRY, THEY HAVE NOT THOUGHT THIS OUT.

Oh, and here is one other thought. How many here have been in the Phil Foster Park parking lot, and heard the sirens of firefighting vehicles go screaming over the bridge, its not an exception, its a constant. When there is only one lane in each direction limited to the east span there will be no where for civilian vehicles to get out of the way, the firefighting equipment will be stuck in traffic just like everybody else.

Oh, and another thought. So if they put up fencing on the park side so you can't access the beach, from the parking lot, are they going to put another row of fencing so you can't access the beach from the water?

Messy, very messy!

Don't forget, its more than just scuba divers who are going to be impacted here. There are many paddleboarders and kayakers that launch just west of the west lifeguard stand. Are they supposed to carry those across the street and down the stairs. I don't know of a "kayak and paddleboard" shop like Force E and Pura Vida, but I a guessing a few interested parties representing that group will be at the meeting. I am guessing a few "in general beach goers" will show up as well. Are the lifeguards supposed to make the same trek across the street every time they shift watch duty? And how exactly are they going to block off the beach anyway, portable fencing? And who is going to secure it? Is there going to be fulltime security there? Recall two years ago when FDOT put up "no fishing signs" on the east span. Recall how fast the "no fishing signs" were removed. I think if FDOT and its contractor do not do this properly there will be a whole boatload of individuals calling Riveria Beach Council Persons, and Palm Beach County Board Supervisors to complain bitterly.

As for the traffic pattern, that is going to be interesting. Heading east to get into the park, you get in to the turn lane and make a left. But now the left hand turn lane will not be accessible because the lane next to it will be for westbound traffic. In order to make the left you will have to stop, and wait for a break in westbound traffic, with east bound traffic stuck behind you, in the meantime, people are in the crosswalk trying to access the beach. Also think about the boat trailers that come in and out of the park. When exiting the park the bigger boat trailer can't just make a sharp turn to head west, and east they need both lanes east or west to pull out. When they try to pull out now, there will not be enough radius to allow it, in either east or west bound direction. Again while people are walking across the street. NO, SORRY, THEY HAVE NOT THOUGHT THIS OUT.

Oh, and here is one other thought. How many here have been in the Phil Foster Park parking lot, and heard the sirens of firefighting vehicles go screaming over the bridge, its not an exception, its a constant. When there is only one lane in each direction limited to the east span there will be no where for civilian vehicles to get out of the way, the firefighting equipment will be stuck in traffic just like everybody else.

Messy, very messy!

Exceptional points! I hadn't thought through all of that and reading your post almost makes me shudder. For me personally, if they do not come up with a safe corridor to access the beach going under the bridge during the construction, I doubt I'll go near the place until the project ends. It's just going to be that much of a nightmare.

But even if they do agree to a pedestrian corridor under the bridge, you have the other traffic flow issues @Pipehorse has mentioned. Boaters are almost certainly going to be forced to leave the park heading east and drive all the way around to PGA blvd on the north end of Singer Island. This is going to be very messy indeed.

Notice that the above info from the BHB Dive Club Facebook group states 3/20 through FALL 2023!! I had heard May 2023 most recently given that they are starting next Monday. I'm hoping May is correct. Fall would be ~ a 6-month project!! UGH!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom