Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite a few years ago, I found an item that was tossed off the bridge.. Had my buddy exit before me to alert the Palm Beach Police that I found a gun.
C’mon, you can’t leave it hanging like that. What type/caliber gun was it? Was it a murder weapon? Did they get fingerprints off of it? Was it part of an episode of CSI Ft Lauderdale? Inquiring minds want to know.
🐸

OK, here’s a dumb question. Is the entry into BHB sand or rocks?
You should be able to enter the water in bare feet. From the parking lot, you go under the bridge where there is sand and then you can just enter the water directly on the west side or walk on the sand and small beach all the way to the east side and enter there.

Went to the bridge for diving today. When I left my house the outside temp reading in my truck was 58f, I was thinking damn another cold day. But by the time I arrived at Phil Foster Park 25 minutes later the temp reading was 71f. When I arrived at 0730 the park was empty. Suited up and entered the water near the staircase in order to drift west with the current while I snorkeled, at 0800. I was the only person in the water. Did a REEF fish survey count of 62 species in 55 minutes. Exited the water on the west side and suited up for scuba at about 0900. More people had arrived for the 1012 high tide. Entered the east side at 0905. There had to be at least 50 medium sized Barracuda (3ft-4ft size) under the east span, and just north of the east span. There had to be at least 200 Yellowfin Mojarra hovering over the sand just north of the east span. Observed a squadron of 5 small Spotted Eagle Rays. Observed a Green Sea Turtle. Observed another Spotted Eagle Ray, much larger than the smaller 5 seen previously. Observed a Freckled Soapfish. Observed a Spotted Cowry. Really seemed to be a fish explosion today, maybe the 40ft + visibility had something to do with it. Sea temp was 78f. Did a REEF fish survey of 70 species in 65 minutes. For sure it was an exceptional day at Phil Foster Park. Respectively, What It Looked Like at 0811 this morning, one of the many Barracuda, Mantis Shrimp, Speedboat, Spotted Cowrie (live), Large Spotted Eagle Ray Video, Five Spotted Eagle Ray Video, Barracuda Video, and Snorkel Trail Video.

Edit:
I forgot to add, I have also found a gun at BHB. 36 Caliber Smith&Wesson Long Barrel revolver. By the looks of oxidation, it have been in the water for less than a day. I buried it, then went back to the beach and asked a lifeguard to call a sheriff. Lifeguard says, "I'll take it". Went back in the water retrieved the pistol. When I got to the beach I took my fins off. The pistol slipped nicely inside the foot pocket of the fin. I walked up to lifeguard and held my fin up. Don't know or care if he ever passed to the sheriffs or not.

11-30-23 Bridge.jpg

11-30-23 Barracuda.jpg
11-30-23 Mantis Shrimp.jpg
11-30-23 Speedboat.jpg
11-30-23 Spotted Cowrie.jpg

Another great report, Pipehorse. You never fail to deliver. With all of your pictures and detailed descriptions, I’m beginning to feel as though I’ve actually been there with you. Now it’s starting to feel as though my trip to BHB in January will be almost like a homecoming. Thanks for all of this great info.
🐸

C’mon, you can’t leave it hanging like that. What type/caliber gun was it? Was it a murder weapon? Did they get fingerprints off of it? Was it part of an episode of CSI Ft Lauderdale? Inquiring minds want to know.
🐸
It was a cheapo revolver, one you could pick up at Dicks, when they still sold guns. I gave it to the sherrifs office. If those officers were indicitive of the police force, then we're in trouble!!! I don't handle guns much, but what I saw even had me concerned. The gun was down only a short time.. maybe a day?

Fast forward a couple years. I'm working with this young woman and we start talking. Her dad is a cop in Palm Beach County. According to her, the cops decided to keep the gun, got caught, and lost their jobs.

@Pipehorse here's the photos of the fish I was telling you about.. plus a few more...
The feather duster in an pretty color, the banded blenny, and the very colorful pipefish. Check out the blue dots!!!
The last photo I think is a clown wrasse, but that black on the top? Maybe the disease that is going around?
1438 01 feather duster.jpg
1438 05 banded blenny.jpg
1438 06 pipefish.jpg
1438 07 pipefish 2.jpg
1438 09 clown wrasse.jpg

@Scuba_Jenny I would say it is a Banded Blenny, the fish at the bottom is a Blackear Wrasse. The Phoronopsis californica, and the Shortfin Pipefish both have beautiful coloring, unusual for both species at BHB. I like the tiny blue dots on the bands of the pipefish.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0835 for a 1055 high tide. The park was empty. Entered in front of the staircase at 0900 to snorkel with the current west. Did a REEF fish survey of 60 species in 55 minutes. By the time I exited from snorkeling more people had arrived, the south parking spaces were filled. Geared up in scuba and headed for the east side. Visibility was 40ft, sea temp was 78-79f. Did a REEF fish survey of 66 species in 65 minutes. Observed two Spotted Eagle Rays. They were bigger than the smaller Eagle Rays I saw yesterday, and smaller than the bigger Eagle Ray I saw yesterday. Observed a Green Sea Turtle again, it was not the same as the one from last Friday, I could tell by a barnacle on its shell. The Barracuda and Yellowfin Mojarra were again out in force. Observed, a Butter Hamlet, Barred Hamlet(Caribbean), and a Black Hamlet. Observed Rusty Gobies on snorkel trail module #14 and snorkel trail module #1. Respectively, Barracuda Under the East Span, Barred Hamlet(Caribbean), Black Hamlet, Blue Stripe Grunt, and Sunken Sailboat at Finger Piers.

12-01-23 Barracucda.jpg
12-01-23 Barred Hamlet (Caribbean).jpg
12-01-23 Black Hamlet.jpg
12-01-23 Blue Stripe Grunt.jpg
12-01-23 Finger Pier Sinking.jpg

The entry is sand softer than a babies bottom, punctuated with used needles.
Can you please elaborate? I have not found needles there. I've been fishing/diving/launching boats there for about 10 years.

OK, here’s a dumb question. Is the entry into BHB sand or rocks? I want to take my boat fins (bare feet in shoe fins) to the earlier part of the dive. Can I walk in on sand @ BHB or should I bring my hard soled booties and strap type fins for a rocky shore entry? ...😌
I walk there barefoot all the time. I have never had any difficulties.

Quite a few years ago, I found an item that was tossed off the bridge.. Had my buddy exit before me to alert the Palm Beach Police that I found a gun.
Geeze, is THAT where it fell out of my pocket??
(joking)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom