Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it’s definite now, I’m signed up to go with our local dive shop for a long weekend trip to FL in mid-January. We’ll plan on spending the weekend @ Pompano Beach then stopping by BHB on the way back North on Monday (15 January). I would have been just as happy to spend all my diving time there, but since I’m going with a group, I’ll be doing what they have planned.

The reason for this post is to ask about the BHB portion of the trip. I plan to spend m this dive trying to do as much photography as I can and was wondering, would I be better off to use my standard vest type BCD, or would a BP/W be better? I’m leaning toward the latter to allow me to stay horizontal more easily. I’ve used BCDs for all my diving in the past, but having my flotation to my back seems like a good idea for this endeavor. What are you regulars (especially the photographers) using there?

🐸

...The reason for this post is to ask about the BHB portion of the trip. I plan to spend m this dive trying to do as much photography as I can and was wondering, would I be better off to use my standard vest type BCD, or would a BP/W be better? I’m leaning toward the latter to allow me to stay horizontal more easily. I’ve used BCDs for all my diving in the past, but having my flotation to my back seems like a good idea for this endeavor. What are you regulars (especially the photographers) using there?

🐸
A jacket is my last choice for diving BHB. BP/W or horse collar is what you are most likely to see me using there. Also, the water temperature is dropping. Keep an eye on that.

Edit:
What is best for me, is not necessarily best for everyone. The BP/W is best for keeping you horizontal when in the water, assuming that your weights are properly placed. A jacket is best for keeping you face up when you are on the surface. Different people will have different priorities.

The BP/W configuration is said to push people face down when at the surface. I find that with a big steel tank mounted high enough in the rig, this is not the case, but if you hang your tank low, then the issue does exist. Proper equipment configuration does matter.

BP/W tends to have less drag in the water compared to a full jacket. Generally when diving at the bridge, this is not a big issue because you normally dive there around slack tide. In the past, I had routinely encountered 3 knots of current on dives in other places & being streamlined was a priority. I got comfortable in minimal gear at that time. The habit has stuck.

Beginning divers generally use jackets because being easily horizontal on the dive & having reduced drag is less of a priority compared to keeping your head up easily & reliably when you are on the surface.

@Green Frog I have never used a BP/W, always jacket style BCD. However, my BCD is an Aqualung Balance, which is back inflate. so it is a bit of a hybrid. BTW, I am not arguing for or against either style, but rather use what you have the most bottom time in.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1100 for a 1323 high tide. The park was about as empty as it gets. Suited up and entered near the staircase to the east in order to check out algae patches and drift westward along the snorkel trail. Continued west to dive around the bridge pilings. Visibility was 10 feet, with a sea temperature of 74f. I had already started using my 5 mil a couple weeks ago when temps were still 78-79f. My body weight is down significantly since this time last year, so even with a hood and the 5mil, without that extra layer of blubber for insulation my R-value has decreased, and thusly I was shivering by the end of the dive. What makes me chuckle is when I return from the dive, more people have arrived at the park. They are all swimming and having fun in the water with just bathing suits on. They must be tourist from up north. Visibility did not make for great image opportunities. So I concentrated on some objects often overlooked as not glamorous enough for most photographers to be bothered with. One of my favorites is the Ice Cream Cone Worm(s) family Pectinaria, aptly named for the homes they build for themselves. In the image below the actual worm is absent, all that remains is its incredible masonry work. Each tiny pebbled glued into place, only one layer thick. These occur commonly at BHB, and are in my opinion are taken for granted given the intricacy of the architecture. Respectively, Hawkwing Conch and Fighting Conch, Small Polka-dot Batfish, Red Heart Sea Urchin Teste, Shortfin Pipefish, and Ice Cream Cone Worm House.

12-19-23 Hawkwing Conch and Fighting Conch.JPG
12-19-23 Polka Dot Batfish.JPG
12-19-23 Red Heart Sea Urchin.JPG
12-19-23 Shortfin Pipefish.JPG
12-19-23 Worm Casing.JPG

I hopped in for a bit yesterday. Vis was about 8' & the temperature shock when I jumped in made me wish that I needed to pee.

Most of my local diving involves physical exertion & my dives seldom exceed 45 minutes, so I get away with no suit for much of the year in this area. The suitless season has now ended for me. Now it's a question of which one to bring.

Oddly enough, Pipehorse, I’ve lost about 50# in the last 8-10 years and my old faithful BCD is now too large for me. As a result, I’ve purchased a BCD (ScubaPro Accent) that is a size smaller and a BP/W (Dive Rite plate with Oxycheq wing) that is adjusted down to my new svelte frame. I haven’t really had a chance to try either in the water yet but plan to take both for a pool session the weekend before my scheduled FL trip. :snorkels:

I was just wondering whether, while diving in the relatively shallow water around BHB, my photographic efforts would be more successful with the more natural horizontal alignment tendencies that would come from having my flotation behind me. :clearmask:

I plan to test both in the pool and probably take both on the trip. I’ll have plenty of room in my SUV. 🚗

🐸

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1215 for a 1423 high tide. The park was almost empty. Entered to east to drift with the current west. Visibility was worse than yesterday 5-8ft, sea temp was 73f. Did a REEF fish survey of 51 species in 60 minutes. Again visibility made for difficult image taking/making. Unfortunately the weather forecast is calling for ten days of clouds or rain. Oct, Nov, and now Dec have been really crappy for weather this year in Florida. This is unfortunately consistent with the El Nino component of the El Nino/La Nina oscillation. I guess we can always hope/wish/pray for better weather. I only include one image from today (Spotted Scorpionfish), the others are from previous better days for photography. Respectively, Spotted Scorpionfish, Jack Crevalle, Lionfish, Frogfish, and Seaweed Blennies.

12-20-23 Spotted Scorpion.JPG
EK14BHB-22.jpg
NH02BHB-111.jpg
NH04BHB-80.jpg
WL20BHB07.jpg

I’m not sure I could gather enough courage to get that close to. Lionfish! Those markings are quite impressive. The ones I photographed in Nassau had much more subdued markings.
BTW, what kind of water temps did you have today?
🐸

I was just wondering whether, while diving in the relatively shallow water around BHB, my photographic efforts would be more successful with the more natural horizontal alignment tendencies that would come from having my flotation behind me. :clearmask:

I plan to test both in the pool and probably take both on the trip. I’ll have plenty of room in my SUV. 🚗

🐸
My guess? You're overthinking it!
Just dive what you are used to. Many of us don't switch out our BC/BPW configs unless going from one tank to two..
Consider BHB like any other dive, cept much shallower. If you got good skills out in the ocean, you will be fine here.

My guess? You're overthinking it!
Just dive what you are used to. Many of us don't switch out our BC/BPW configs unless going from one tank to two..
Consider BHB like any other dive, cept much shallower. If you got good skills out in the ocean, you will be fine here.

That’s the problem SJ... I can no longer use my”tried and true” BCD because it’s now too big for me after I lost 50+ pounds. As I swim around inside of it, my buoyancy gets a little sketchy.

Since my trip last June, I’ve acquired both a newer, smaller BCD and a BP/W, both of which fit me “dry” but neither of which I’ve actually dived. I have plenty of space in my SUV for the trip next month and although I’ll be testing both in the pool before I go, I plan to use one for my Saturday dives and the other on Sunday. That way I can fine tune my buoyancy with both and decide as I drive up to Riviera Beach which I’ll use at BHB. I’m guessing in that relatively shallow water, having my flotation behind me will make it easier to remain horizontal while concentrating on picture taking.

BTW, the new Suptig video light and SeaLife closeup lens have both arrived, but the tray and arm were apparently shipped on a slow boat directly from China. The “detailed tracking” information hasn’t been updated since the 14th. I may have to do some last second Jury Rigging to have my camera rig ready to go. I’m really hoping for some great photo ops during this trip.

🐸

As I swim around inside of it, my buoyancy gets a little sketchy.
I don't think you can get anymore "over-sketchy" once you see all the student classes silting out the bottom. If anyone asks, tell them the 100% truth > It's my 1st dive & silently add 'at Bhb' . You'll be just fine.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom