Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Previously I found seahorses and batfish in the east, various sp. of frogfish in the west.

I dived there yesterday, late high tide. Found a small pokadot batfish and a pipefish, but nothing overly exciting. Couple blennys, a few hairy blennies.

Dove the bridge today, Sunday Dec 9th. Viz was 40ft if you stayed away from the classes. 76 degrees, sunshine, and still parking spots available 1 hour before the 9:27am Sunday high tide. Nothing unusual seen, but here's 3 photos for fun (I'm a once a year photog)

BHB_Dec9_shark.jpg

BHB_Dec9_Sarge.jpg

BHB_Dec9_Trail.jpg

bhb_dec9_sarge-jpg.493385.jpg

/QUOTE]

Thank goodness that the shy and elusive Sargent Majors are still there. Whew, that was close! :D :D :D Good shot of her in her nesting colors and guarding her eggs.

Night dove the east side on Friday Jan 4. 40 foot viz dropped down to 15-20 with onset of outgoing tide. LOBSTER CENTRAL on the east end structures under the bridge!!! Saw at least 10, one was absolutely huuuuuge. Gorgeous. Made me hungry. Squid, cuttlefish, several smaller rays and one large southern (3-foot diameter) with entire tail, including stinger, bitten off by a hungry predator, but seemed to be doing fine. Several scorpionfish and stargazers. A few super curious (and eating size!) cuda trailed us frequently, to within inches if kept blinded. One oddball had the last 6 inches of his tail curiously bent to the left about 15 degrees at rest and when moving slow--couldn't tell positioning when he hauled off. Circling catfish that looked like (swam like) a baby shark from afar in the sandy shallows on entry. Didn't see the fat green moray diameter of my thigh almost this time. Lotta the typical, too. Water temp high 70s. Easy parking by the showers. Calm, very slight breeze. Nice dive!

thanks for the report..
No cuttlefish in this area though.. so wondering what you saw.. as the catfish also. Never seen any catfish at the bridge either.

Going tomorrow - need to get some time behind a lens and checking out a pair of Force Fins I've had for well over a year. They are orange so won't be hard to miss.

My husband and I were planning on diving BHB as part of a Florida drive-through; the allocated day is 1/24. Based on the recent discussion, should we bag it and head one day earlier down to the Keys?
thanks

Why would you bag it? What is the current situation you hear so horrible? I heard it was 50ft viz today with temps 75-77.. Not bad for mid January..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom