Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived there a few weeks ago. Found one seahorse, a couple batfish, lots of nudis (flabellinas), a rather large spotted eel, a few arrow crabs, got buzzed by a spotted eagle ray. But noticably missing were the juvenile fishes, the cushion stars, urchins, and the white/clear blennies/gobies small bottom dwellers. Also missing on the west side, were the hydroids and any vegetation to the south of the bridge. I mentioned this when I exited, and was told, "well, duh.. they're dumping Lake O water, the governor is.. blah, blah, blah.." hmm..

I'm gonna give it a year to recover before I trek down there again. I hope the area tourism authority and other stakeholders appreciate the fact that people like me will not be spending money in the area for a while thanks to their lax protection of a world-renowned dive tourism site.

@guyharrisonphoto I "liked" your thread, even though I didn't like the news. :eek: Thanks for the heads up. I believe the University did not intend for this to happen this way, but with such scant oversight, you can almost always expect employees and students to take the easy road. It would have been far better if they had responded with contrition rather than abject denial, but the current political climate seems to breed that kind of response.

I hope the human trolls of the BHB will continue to post updates, especially if they're happy updates about our favorite shore dive. I would love to see some current pics and Vids of the area.

@guyharrisonphoto I believe the University did not intend for this to happen this way...
Their denial suggests otherwise.

As for the octopuses, I've seen them vanishing from BHB previously. In 3 dives in 2014, I've spotted half a dozen evey dive. In 3 dives in 2015, there were none. Could this be locals spearfishing them?

Concerning octopus... there is a season. Springtime you will find so many that you loose count. By mid summer the numbers are down, and by this time of year you are lucky to find one.

Concerning octopus... there is a season. Springtime you will find so many that you loose count. By mid summer the numbers are down, and by this time of year you are lucky to find one.
Both times this was in June.

EmptyName_19.jpg
Still a great dive. We dove East side on Saturday. Heard there were some seahorses on West side, but we couldn’t find any on the East. Here’s a blenny:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom