Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday evening BHB viz reported to be 7 ft with a temp of 84...lots of stuff and sand in the water column. After hitide--close to zero viz, so get in earlier than usual and end the dive early.......

Went today East side...viz varied 15-20 and was blue at one hour prior. Got green and viz decreased as expected once tide changed.
Greeted by a couple of Eagle Rays as soon as I got there. Amazing how close one can get to critters using a double hose...good times.
I read reports of 'logs' lodges under the East bridge..didn't see any.
There's a branch in the sailboat wreck, that's about it lol. Also a very robust porcupine fish at the same wreck.
Also saw a juvi Lionfish there, but didn't f with it because I had my small knife with me.
Might go again tomorrow if LBTS is a bust to see how the reefs are post Irma. I tried before, but viz was 2'.

I went on Saturday, east side. Water was greenish with less than 10ft. vis. Water temp 79°. Buddies went on Sunday, west side and said vis was even less.
Also that slack time at high tide is really short.. less than 10 minutes.

Welp.... after reading a report from a dive shop near the bridge that visibility was hovering around 30', we went to see for ourselves and can confirm it's actually 30 centimeters or perhaps a foot at best.

It felt like low-visibility dive training. In any case, don't ask me why but we managed to dive the West span for 70 minutes. The visibility was terrible. There were globs of flocculates everywhere through the water column. My wife mentioned that she would have left after 30 seconds, but since I seemed so determined to stay, we did just that.

Did not see green, nor blue, just globs of stuff. In any case, here are 3 photos from today. Good that macro does tolerate low visibility conditions. BTW, did spot a pair of small Lionfish which will need to be removed when conditions allow.

Hopefully water will improve soon and we can go back to enjoy this wonderful site.

Cheers,

Ricardo
PS: There were lots of divers getting in when we arrived, but by the time we surfaced, the place was desolate. In fact, there were 3 red no swim flags flying when we got out. These weren't flying when we got in. I hope it's not something that will require a visit to the Doctor nor antibiotics :eek:.

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

thanks for the report.. I just might skip diving on Monday..

My daughter and I were there today. We stayed on the East side/bridge. Pretty dark under there even though it was really sunny out. Was fun. Visibility was probably 15' most of the time, max 20', min 10'. We got in about 40 minutes prior to high tide... fought the current a little bit but was down for 75 minutes or so. Plenty to see. Great time. Water temps were 76-78 depending on whose computer you were looking at (hers or mine).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom