Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm interested in improving my SE florida fish ID, do you have any advice on how to go about that? for example is there a book i should study?
@bassplayer, i could probably write 5000 words on improving "fish id" ability. Since I am probably not going to be diving the next few days, I will do a detailed write up and post it here. In the meantime I see others have suggested Humann and DeLoach books. The two books pictured below are beautifully illustrated, and invaluable resources. There is much overlap in these two books, if I was going to buy only one it would the one on the left.
10-06-24.JPEG

What are these fish? Looks like grunts of some sort, but don't recall seeing those gold bars.
Jenny, they are called "Spot" or Spot Croaker, Leistomus xanthurus. In the Drum family of fish. They can be found in the Kells books above. Not sure if they are in the Humann book. Those were over on the east side in shallow water around the rocks in front of the sea wall. I have also seen them on the westside usually on the last bridge piling that touches dry land, in shallow water.

Went to the bridge for diving today and yesterday. The park was never full on either day, however this morning there were three different church groups, church people out numbered divers 4 to 1. By the time I exited the water at about 1300, the park was 98% empty, I guess because of the rain. Visibility on Saturday was the best of the week at 40ft. Visibility today was 30ft. Sea temp yesterday 84f, sea temp today 83f. I saw one moon jellyfish yesterday, none today.

Snorkeled the trail before diving both days, did a REEF fish survey both days, 54 species counted both days. Entered the west side at 1015. Did a REEF fish survey today while diving, it was number 5000 for me, thirty years of doing REEF fish surveys. I have been trying to find species of nudibranch new to me lately. I have been having success, but some of them are so tiny getting a good image is at the limit of the LX10 even with a 10+ diopter. Respectively, Number 5000, Christmas Tree Hydroid Nudibranch, Evelines Learchis, and Planehead Filefish.
10-05-24 5000.jpg
10-05-24 Christmas Tree Hydroid Nudibranch.jpg
10-05-24 Evelines Learchis.jpg
10-05-24 Planehead Filefish.jpg

Did a REEF fish survey today while diving, it was number 5000 for me, thirty years of doing REEF fish surveys.
Congratulations @Pipehorse! This is an amazing accomplishment.

Like @Pipehorse (and I suspect some others lurking here?) I also dove the bridge yesterday and today. Both days I entered the water a bit on the early side, (9:40a on Saturday and 9:59a today) and exited about the time of high tide. Yesterday I went to the west over to the channel wall and slowly made my way back east, and today I went out to the snorkel trail then under the east span. This was my first and fourth dive with my new camera setup, so I spent a lot of time going slow and looking for new and interesting small things. I was not disappointed and found my first mantis shrimp and what may have been a Purplemouth moray?

Respectively, Ciliated false squilla, unknown [anyone know?], Spotted scorpionfish, Whitespeckled hermit crab, Spotted moray.

IMG07125.jpg

IMG07138.jpg

IMG07160.jpg

IMG07304.jpg

IMG07306.jpg

I have been trying to find species of nudibranch new to me lately. I have been having success, but some of them are so tiny getting a good image is at the limit of the LX10 even with a 10+ diopter. Respectively, Number 5000, Christmas Tree Hydroid Nudibranch, Evelines Learchis, and Planehead Filefish
I am constantly impressed with everyone else's ability to spot these absolutely tiny nudibranchs. In my 13 dives here in the last 2 1/2 years I've not seen a single nudibranch of any size, let alone these tiny ones. At some point I'll have to break down and ask for help from some of the regulars here who are far more adept at spotting the interesting items than I.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom