Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several eagle rays in the area
Naturally, but I asked about one in the video. Looks too deep for the West side.

On Saturday my wife and I noticed there was practically no boat traffic at the ramp, so we got a bit naughty and explored Far North of the East side. Passing under all of the boat ramps out to the mooring field, and drifting back with the tide change. Nothing crazy or rare besides the usual suspects but I did find more than 6 pairs of sunglasses, Half a Sub Safe, and a rusted out prop. Its rare during summer to get a good day without boat traffic for some sneakin.

@Pipehorse , the Eagle Ray was at the East?
I often snorkel prior to scuba diving the bridge. This can be as early as three hours before high tide. I start approximately near the stair case on the eastside and drift with the current to the west. Sometimes I get lucky, i.e. I am the only person in the water. No people, and no loud scuba bubbles. I see more Spotted Eagle Rays this way than I do diving at the bridge. This particular Eagle Ray was to the west. The line in the beginning of the video is the one that holds one of the can buoys that marks the swimming area. It is the one furthest west, and north. I think the depth is eleven feet. All of BHB is just one zone code with regards to submitting REEF surveys, I have no way to actually document whether there are more Eagle Rays on the west or east side of the bridge. Anecdotally I would say I see more on the east than on the west when on scuba.

I saw this posted the other day by a diver who shoots a lot of nudis. She noted it as a Lomanotus vermiformus.
Yes, Hydroid Lomanotus is the common name, Lomanotus vermiformus is the scientific name.

My last post also identified another nudibranch incorrectly. The video of Sargassum Spurilla is a video of a Long-Eared Favorinus. Unable to edit the body of scubaboard post, the video now identifies it correctly.

Went to the bridge for diving on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday the tide was too early for most people and the park was not crowded. As reported by others on Saturday the park was not completely crowded but underwater was very crowded, i.e. 98% of the people in the park were scuba divers, with almost no other activities being pursued. Sunday I was pleasantly surprised by only half as many people showing up as on Saturday. Friday visibility was at best 30 ft with 85f sea temp. Saturday was about the same as Friday vis wise, with 83f temp. And Sunday was 20ft of viz with 83f temp.

Stayed on the west side all three days. Did REEF surveys all three days. I have been searching for nudibranchs lately, and was able to find at least a few all three days. Two species I have not observed before Cuthona tina, and Oxynoe antillarum. Also observed a gastropod that was new to me, a Giant Atlantic Pyram. What was must remarkable though was the lack of boat traffic on Saturday and Sunday. We all that dive the bridge are somewhat conditioned to the constant drone of boat engines coming and going as we dive the bridge. Lack of the noise was much welcomed, but at the same time the relative silence of just the underwater noise was a little eerie. On all three days I was able to avoid most other divers. I did see @Scuba_Jenny on Saturday, and pointed out a nudibranch, genus Doto species unknown to me.

I agree with @Catito on the eastside. It always seems like a "pool party" to me over there. That is why I spend the majority of time on the west side, not because of some other inherent preference. If I do the east side I generally enter two hours before the tide. Doing so ensures a ripping current most others are unwilling and/or unable to deal with. At about the time I am finishing the dive is when other divers are starting to show up.

Respectively, Cuthona tina, Oxynoe antillarum, Giant Atlantic Pyram, Hitchhiker Anemone, Long-Eared Favorinus, and Friendly Octopus Video

08-02-24 Cuthona Tina.JPEG
08-02-24 Oxnye.JPEG

08-04-24 Giant Atlantic Pyram.jpg
08-04-24 Hitch Hiker Anemone.jpg
08-04-24 long eared.jpg

I often snorkel prior to scuba diving the bridge. This can be as early as three hours before high tide. I start approximately near the stair case on the eastside and drift with the current to the west. Sometimes I get lucky, i.e. I am the only person in the water. No people, and no loud scuba bubbles. I see more Spotted Eagle Rays this way than I do diving at the bridge. This particular Eagle Ray was to the west. The line in the beginning of the video is the one that holds one of the can buoys that marks the swimming area. It is the one furthest west, and north. I think the depth is eleven feet. All of BHB is just one zone code with regards to submitting REEF surveys, I have no way to actually document whether there are more Eagle Rays on the west or east side of the bridge. Anecdotally I would say I see more on the east than on the west when on scuba.

Yes, Hydroid Lomanotus is the common name, Lomanotus vermiformus is the scientific name.

My last post also identified another nudibranch incorrectly. The video of Sargassum Spurilla is a video of a Long-Eared Favorinus. Unable to edit the body of scubaboard post, the video now identifies it correctly.

Went to the bridge for diving on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday the tide was too early for most people and the park was not crowded. As reported by others on Saturday the park was not completely crowded but underwater was very crowded, i.e. 98% of the people in the park were scuba divers, with almost no other activities being pursued. Sunday I was pleasantly surprised by only half as many people showing up as on Saturday. Friday visibility was at best 30 ft with 85f sea temp. Saturday was about the same as Friday vis wise, with 83f temp. And Sunday was 20ft of viz with 83f temp.

Stayed on the west side all three days. Did REEF surveys all three days. I have been searching for nudibranchs lately, and was able to find at least a few all three days. Two species I have not observed before Cuthona tina, and Oxynoe antillarum. Also observed a gastropod that was new to me, a Giant Atlantic Pyram. What was must remarkable though was the lack of boat traffic on Saturday and Sunday. We all that dive the bridge are somewhat conditioned to the constant drone of boat engines coming and going as we dive the bridge. Lack of the noise was much welcomed, but at the same time the relative silence of just the underwater noise was a little eerie. On all three days I was able to avoid most other divers. I did see @Scuba_Jenny on Saturday, and pointed out a nudibranch, genus Doto species unknown to me.

I agree with @Catito on the eastside. It always seems like a "pool party" to me over there. That is why I spend the majority of time on the west side, not because of some other inherent preference. If I do the east side I generally enter two hours before the tide. Doing so ensures a ripping current most others are unwilling and/or unable to deal with. At about the time I am finishing the dive is when other divers are starting to show up.

Respectively, Cuthona tina, Oxynoe antillarum, Giant Atlantic Pyram, Hitchhiker Anemone, Long-Eared Favorinus, and Friendly Octopus Video

View attachment 854627View attachment 854628

View attachment 854632View attachment 854633View attachment 854634

Love the nudis. Yes, ripping current. I have gone to the east side way before the high tide and have had to fight to keep my mask on.

Thanks for the REEF surveys. Very important and interesting.

.... Eagle Rays .... I see more on the east than on the west when on scuba.
It might be our fish carcass cleaning station at the east side boat ramps. It's almost a 100% guarantee that in the afternoons when bony fish scraps are tossed from the filet table, the eagle rays always are covering and eating them. You can just stand on the docks, look down and see 3-4 of them all the time. Fantastic pictures as always @Pipehorse !!

I heard that a sewage pipe burst and the park is closed. Have any of y’all heard about this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom