Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the liberty of tweaking the eagle ray pic. I've been working on tweaking UW photos, so this was a good opportunity to practice a little. All credit/ownership/copyright goes to @Pipehorse, I was just playing around.

corrected_eagleray.jpg

I remember some donated shells getting readily accepted!
I guess it would be another form of pollution, what about 3d printing some shells for these guys. Not sure they'd take to the plastic/nylon. and probably not a good idea anyway, Just had this vision of hermit crab taking to some designer shells instead of some random jar.
I think I have to get off these meds they're giving me for what has turned into a bronchial infection .. geez.

Did someone actually see a guitar fish at the bridge today? Nat said there were some pics on FB.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 11:00 for a 14:45 high tide. The park was as empty as it gets. Walked around doing a bird count for ebird.org for 45 minutes. I found the wind and overcast sky a little depressing, and knew if I did a dive I would be cold getting out. Almost bagged it, but then decided to enter the water early, at 12:45 knowing I would be able to dive the snorkel trail without being silted out five minutes into because of the lack of divers and snorkelers. It was windy so I was expecting the visibility might be degraded since yesterday, but was pleasantly surprised at the opposite. Visibility was 40ft, perhaps the lack of sunshine cutting down on glare was a factor. Sea temp was 73f the whole dive.

Did a REEF fish count of 60 species in 60 minutes. Observed a Reticulated Brittle Star five minutes into the dive (pictured below). Normally I see one segment of one arm of the Reticulated Brittle Star poking out of the sand. I believe this is the first time I observed the whole animal out and about. Perhaps they are nocturnal and the overcast sky had this one confused. Spent most of dive shining a light into the deeper recesses of the various modules along the snorkel trail. Was a little disappointed by lack of cardinalfish and Rusty Goby sightings. Plenty of fan worms and Banded Coral Shrimp to see though. Near the end of the dive observed a Pygmy Filefish, and Fringed Filefish. Respectively, Reticulated Brittle Star, Fringed Filefish, Pygmy Filefish, Queen Angelfish (maybe a Townsend), and large Spotted Moray.

02-04-24 Brittle Star.JPG
02-04-24 Fringed Filefish.JPG
02-04-24 Pygmy Filefish.JPG
02-04-24 Queen-Townsend Angel.JPG
02-04-24 Spotted Moray.JPG

You might be correct about the sea star. I've only seen them out once or twice during the day, don't recall night dives. They really don't spike my attention unless they are out.

@Pipehorse .. I'm assuming this is you! Congrats!
1707157608093.png

If you overlook the names and look at the number of counts done, one person has more counts than the new three or four regional leaders combined! In addition, he has nearly as many as the number 2&3 participants together in the highly active Tropical Western Atlantic Region. Now look at the name again and be truly impressed. I know I certainly am! This is true dedication to his chosen avocation. Kudos to Peter Leahy.
Charlie 🐸 Shaeff

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom