Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The West Side Gang has one good day and all of a sudden yall are dunking on us East Siders. #EastSider4lyfe
I started going west case east is always so crowded. I figured out this little route that I can do that pretty much results in not seeing another diver. The east side has a lot more area to explore though

Went to the bridge today for diving. Arrived at 1005 for a 12:16 high tide. The park was not crowded, cold temps are keeping most beach goers away, and most people there are divers. Snorkeled the trail before diving. Observed a Cownose Ray while snorkeling, and got some video of that, video is short, moves around a lot but is good for documentation purposes. Cownose Rays are common on the east coast of the United States. I have seen dozens of them in the Miles River on the eastern shore of Maryland. They lift their wing tips near the surface, and it almost looks like a sharks fin. In inaturalist.org, there are 580 observations, most of them are either the fish out of water, or somebody looking into the water, but not underwater. I have observed them only once before in 30 years near the Deerfield Pier in Deerfield Beach. There was also an image on the REEF database a long time ago, taken at BHB by a deceased member of a school of them. However, they are only recorded been recorded 11 times in the REEF database (four times in Florida). So for whatever reason they are rarely observed on scuba.

After doing the snorkel trail suited for scuba and did the westside. Did a REEF fish survey of 57 species in 60 minutes. Visibility was degraded from yesterday at about 20ft (very hazy) and sea temp remains at 73f. Besides the Cownose Ray, other standouts were Banded Blenny, Porcupinefish, and Spotted Eagle Ray. Porcupinefish and Spotted Eagle both for some reason almost swam into my camera. The Spotted Eagle Ray swam below me than circled back around, and I thought I was going to have to push it off not to collide. It circled around a second time but swept close by and then took off. The Porcupinefish just stuck his face almost into the camera. Very odd behavior for both species, which are usually standoffish.

02-01-24 Banded Blenny.JPG
02-01-24 Cownose Ray3.jpg
02-01-24 Porcupinefish.JPG
02-01-24 Tiger Goby.JPG
Spotted Eagle Ray.JPG

Nice angle on that eagle ray

May I suggest a few tweaks with PS or Lightroom to make it stand out

Besides the Cownose Ray,
LOL, the Cownose looks huge, but we know better. They must be looking for warmer water cause we normally see them around thanksgiving time feeding off the beaches.

The only time I’ve seen fish behave like that porcupine fish was when they had interacted with humans a lot or had been fed. I guess there are so many divers around BHB, the denizens have gotten acclimated to humans… sorta like clumsy manatees or something! 😆
🐸

The only time I’ve seen fish behave like that porcupine fish was when they had interacted with humans a lot or had been fed. I guess there are so many divers around BHB, the denizens have gotten acclimated to humans… sorta like clumsy manatees or something! 😆
🐸
The fish are very used to humans at the bridge. It's funny sometimes, I'll be diving elsewhere and the fish spook. At first I'm surprised cause they don't do that at the bridge, then I remember they aren't used to humans!

Nice find on the cow nose ray. I know of one time somebody photographed a school of them at the bridge. That was quite a few years ago.

Went to the bridge for diving today and yesterday. Yesterday was not crowded, today was as crowded as I have seen it for some time. Visibility yesterday was down to 15ft, and a little improved today at 20ft. Sea temp on both days was 74f. Did the snorkel trail prior to diving on both days, and did REEF surveys while snorkeling the trail on both days. Did REEF surveys on scuba both days.

I have been trying to search for some smaller macro subjects, but in 74f water I get cold and it makes it difficult to concentrate down on focus level. I have a Bare M/L wetsuit, that is not fitting as snug as it used to because of dropping some weight. I bought another Bare M/L used wetsuit through here, but when I got it two months ago, it barely fit, so I think maybe it was M not M/L. Today I tried the M size and it fit very snug, I was much warmer, that includes a hooded vest, with a beanie hood under the vest hood. But still after 145 minutes in the water I was shivering.

Yesterday I observed a Giant Hermit Crab using a jar for its home. The jar had a large opening so the hermit crab can still get around, unfortunately there is a housing crisis for Giant Hermit Crabs at BHB. I forgot to bring a suitable shell with me today, however hermit crab was not in the same vicinity as yesterday, so it would have been of no help. Observed what I believe is a Cinachyrella apion sponge. It is orange and shaped like a ball, with what I believe are the tiniest of polyps extending beyond the main body of the sponge. I probably post to many pictures of Phoronopsis californica here, but I observed one with very unusually coloring today so it is below. Also observed Long Armed Octopus on both days, clinging to penshells, (different specimens). Respectively, Giant Hermit Crab, Cinachyrella apion, Octopus on a Penshell, Octopus on a Penshell, Phoronopsis californica

02-02-24 Hermit Crab.JPG
02-03-24 Cinachyrella Apion.JPG
02-03-24 Octo on a Penshell.JPG
02-03-24 Octo on a Penshell1.JPG
02-03-24 Phoronopsis Californica.JPG

unfortunately there is a housing crisis for Giant Hermit Crabs at BHB. I forgot to bring a suitable shell with me today
High mortgage rates in Florida! lol on this one but yes, I remember some donated shells getting readily accepted!

@Pipehorse you can never post too many photos, regardless of species. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom