Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, for the additional images and the explanation, Pipehorse. Of course I’m familiar with the ubiquitous Christmas Tree Worms, but the Phoronida are new to me. The additional pictures make their lifestyle a little more obvious. To be honest, in your previous picture, having the upper portion extended so far and oriented horizontally left me baffled!

I’m getting more and more excited. The main part of our “planned” trip is to Pompano Beach, with BHB being an optional add-on if we want on the way back North. In point of fact, the “optional trip” is what sold me.

I’m now planning to add a closeup lens on my little SeaLife Micro 3.0 especially for that part of my trip… you guys seem to see lotsalittles! Thanks again for sharing (enabling?).

Best regards,
🐸

Went to the bridge for snorkeling today. The park was empty. High tide was at 0620, I entered the west side at 0810. Visibility was 30ft, sea temp 78. Snorkeled the trail heading east. Turned back and headed west over the algae patches. Did a REEF fish survey of 68 species in 120 minutes. Observed a Green Sea Turtle eating grass and algae in the algae patches. I only saw three other people in the water today snorkeling, I am sure lack of activity was why I was able to watch the sea turtle for 15 minutes. Exited to water at 1010, visibility was still 20ft, 4 hours after high tide. Green Sea Turtle images below.

11-25-23 Green Sea Turtle .jpg
11-25-23 Green Sea Turtle 1.jpg
11-25-23 Green Sea Turtle 2.jpg
11-25-23 Green Sea Turtle 3.jpg
11-25-23 Green Sea Turtle 4.jpg

The turtle was probably thankful you didn't paparazzi it..

Went to the bridge for snorkeling today. The park was empty. High tide was at 0620, I entered the west side at 0810. Visibility was 30ft, sea temp 78. Snorkeled the trail heading east. Turned back and headed west over the algae patches. Did a REEF fish survey of 68 species in 120 minutes. Observed a Green Sea Turtle eating grass and algae in the algae patches. I only saw three other people in the water today snorkeling, I am sure lack of activity was why I was able to watch the sea turtle for 15 minutes. Exited to water at 1010, visibility was still 20ft, 4 hours after high tide. Green Sea Turtle images below.

View attachment 812443View attachment 812444View attachment 812445View attachment 812446View attachment 812447

I used to joke that since I never got to see a shark while I was taking pictures, anyone who feared sharks should just stay close to me and my Nikonos. Once I broke the jinx, it seems like I see sharks every dive. Now the jinx has transferred to turtles, and I almost never see them during my dives! Oh well, “If our reach did not exceed our grasp…”
Maybe if that planned trip to BHB in January goes as planned, I’ll break that jinx and I’ll have to complain about not seeing some other elusive creature.
🐸

Went to the bridge for diving today. High tide was at 0710. I arrived at the park at 0805. The park was mostly empty, there were a few flags in the water, but most divers had exited by the time I entered at 0825 on the west side. Immediately upon entry, visibility was better than the day before in the 40ft range, it most of been really nice before the tide change. Went around the corner of last land piling proceeded along the wall and then cut into the current, where the visibility was more like 25ft, sea temp was 79f. Drifted with the current on to the snorkel trail. Headed east along the snorkel trail with the current and then looped back west through the algae patch to exit the water at 1045. Did a REEF fish survey of 56 species in 65 minutes. Observed either a Sooty Eel or Whip Eel, and had to settle for recording as Bascanichthys spp. because even with an image I could not tell the difference. Going to load on Inaturalist as Bascanichthys scuticaris Whip Eel, because it seems more brown than Sooty to me. Respectively, Queen Angel, Rusty Goby, Sheepshead, Spotted Moray, Whip/Sooty Eel.

11-26-23 Queen Angel.jpg
11-26-23 Rusty Goby.jpg
11-26-23 Sheepshead.jpg
11-26-23 Spotted Moray.jpg
11-26-23 Whip Sooty Eel.jpg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at the park for at 0740 for an 0750 high tide, the park was mostly empty, there were a few flags in the water. Entered the west side at 0810, visibility was 35feet, sea temp was 79f. Stayed in the vicinity of the bridge pilings for about an hour than drifted onto the snorkel trail, where I stayed for another 80 minutes. Did a REEF survey of 68 species in 65 minutes. Exited the water at 1020, then went back and snorkeled the trail, from the eastside heading west. Did an REEF survey of 56 species in 55 minutes. I took images of a juvenile Lionfish on Nov 1, it can seen on post #2669 of this thread. Took images of the same juvenile Lionfish today (99% certain) damn they really do grow fast. Respectively, Barracuda With Personal Assistant, Juvenile Spiny Lobsters, Juvenile Lionfish, Pearly Razorfish, Moon Jellyfish over Hammerhead Statue.

11-27-23 Barracuda W Personal Assistant.jpg
11-27-23 Juvenile Spiny Lobster.jpg
11-27-23 Lionfish.jpg
11-27-23 Pearly Razorfish.jpg
11-27-23.jpg

Pipehorse,
This forum doesn’t have a reaction emoji to express my admiration! These latest images are off the hook. Have you noticed like me that Queen Angels have a tendency to show you their tails instead of their faces? Of all the Angels, Queens and Rock Beauties are the most challenging for me to get a clean shot of the complete fish.
I’m lovin’ that Spotted Moray Eel too. How big was he actually and how close did he let you get?
As always, thank you very much for sharing, and you’re making me more anxious to get to BHB than ever. I wonder whether I could just skip the month of December and go down sooner? 🤔
🐸

Previous post somehow got stuck somewhere in the ether. Same comments apply equally to your later set of pix, Pipehorse. I’m now officially your biggest fan!
🐸

@Green Frog yes I have noticed Queen Angelfish don't particularly like their picture taken, and Rock Beauties, forget about it, they are as flitty as birds. Most of the Spotted Moray Eels at the Bridge are small, less than 18 inches long. But there are a couple bigger ones, in the 36”-48” range that live on the snorkel trail. That was one of the bigger ones on the snorkel trail. Spotted Morays Eels are not shy, often you can get inches from their face, without them moving away. I think I was about six inches or so for that image. Spotted Morays Eels don't have good vision, they rely on sense of smell as much as they do eyesight, so occasionally they will bump their noses noses up against a light or camera housing to investigate what is in front of them. Thank you for the comments on the photos. I use my iphone in a sealife housing, with a video light. It this particular point in my photography journey it is more about documentation, than taking really nice photos.

Went to the bridge for diving this morning. Arrived at 0735 for an 0844 high tide. For the first time in four days I was able to enter the water before high tide. The park was mostly empty with a dive flag here and there. @Scuba_Jenny was there this morning. After our diving we lamented the many photographers who seem unaware or uncaring of their effect on the critters they photograph. Visibility was 30ft and sea temp varied between 78-79f on my computer. Stayed on the westside throughout the dive of 130 minutes. Observed a pair of Flying Gurnard, a pair Pygmy Filefish, and Juvenile Porkfish Cleaning Station for Spadefish. Did a REEF fish survey of 65 species in 65 minutes. One image below is from yesterday. It is not the sharpest image. It is a juvenile Rainbow Runner, the double blue stripes down the side can just be seen. I often find a couple floating just under the little styrofoam balls that are used to mark the swimming area. Focus on Gray Chubs in the mist is soft as well (the iphone shoots wide open). Respectively, Juvenile Rainbow Runner, Chubs in the Mist, Juvenile Porkfish Cleaning Spadefish, Pygmy Filefish, and White Grunt.
11-27-23 Juvenile Rainbow Runner.jpg
11-28-23 Chubs in the Mist.jpg
11-28-23 Porkfish Cleaning Spadefish.jpg
11-28-23 Pygmy Filefish.jpg
11-28-23 White Grunt.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom