Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday and today. Not realizing yesterday was a holiday I was a little surprised at the amount of people there for an 0800 hightide on a Monday. Today hightide was at 0859 and there about half as many people. Visibility yesterday was 20ft, with a 74f sea temp. Today visibility was 30ft with a sea temp 75f. Did REEF surveys on both days. While assiduously searching for Dwarf Frogfish and not finding any, I did manage a new observation anyway. Spotted a small crab underneath a clam shell. Flipped the shell over and the crab stayed tight against the shell. It is called a Granulate Shellback Crab. Relying on half a bivalve shell as opposed to hermit crab MO of relying on a univalve shell. Also observed a Five-Slotted Sand Dollar test the size of a penny. The most common sand dollars found at BHB are Six-Keyhole Sand Dollars, had not observed a Five-Slotted until today. Respectively, Barbfish, Phoronopsis californica, Blue Hamlet, Five-Slotted Sand Dollar, Frillfin Goby, Granulate Shellback Crab, Pregnant Lined Seahorse, Sheepshead, Granulate Shellback Crab Video, Lionfish Video, and Atlantic Longarm Octopus Video.
02-20-23 Barbfish.jpeg
02-20-23 Phoronopsis californica.jpeg
02-21-23 Blue Hamlet.jpeg
02-21-23 Five-slotted Sand Dollar.jpeg
02-21-23 Frillfin Goby.jpeg
02-21-23 Granulated Shellback Crab.jpeg

02-21-23 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
02-21-23 Sheepshead.jpeg

That Granulate crab is so cool! I can’t wait to dive this Saturday

I've seen 4 lionfish at the bridge recently. Now, I know you can't hunt them with spear, however, if I put the location out, maybe they will mysteriously disappear?
West side. On the wall, about 1/3 way in from the south. Hiding in a crevice. 6-8"
West Side. Rubble pile on the north side of the fishing bridge.
East Side. In the Sailboat under the bridge.
East Side.. Cripes.. can't remember. LOL..

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday and today. Yesterday conditions were 30ft visibility with 76f sea temp, and overall weather was perfect, observed what I called Dancing Seahorses. Today arrived at 0735 for 1030 high tide, snorkeled the trail before diving. I could tell from the snorkel trail the current was going to ripping. With the ripping current in mind entered the eastside at 0910 and had underneath bridge and north of the bridge to myself the Goliath, the Spadefish, and the big Barracudas for an hour Other divers started showing up near the tide change. Visibility was pushing 50f, and sea temp was 76f, about as nice a day as one can expect for February (it seems as if the dredging of the channel is not affecting the viz). Once the tide changed headed over to snorkel trail and algae patches to continue searching for Dwarf Frogfish. No Dwarf Frogfish, but found the most exquisitely camouflaged little Lined Sea Horse I have ever observed, as well as other small fish that would go unnoticed. Observed brawling Giant Hermit Crabs, Exquisite Purple Tunicate (species unknown), Yellow Tunicate (species unknown), Rusty Goby, and a group of Banded Jawfish. Respectively, Phoronopsis californica, Branching Vase Sponge, Cerithium eburneum, Exquisite Purple Tunicate with Yellow Tunicate Next to it, Lined Seahorse 1-3, Pygmy Filefish, Rainbow Parrotfish, 3 Yellow Jacks and a Silver Jenny, Dancing Lined Seahorse Video, and Brawling Giant Hermit Crab Video.
02-22-23 Phoronopsis californica.jpeg
02-23-23 Branching Vase Sponge.jpeg
02-23-23 Cerithium eburnium.jpeg
02-23-23 Exquisite Purple Tunicate .jpeg
02-23-23 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
02-23-23 Lined Seahorse1.jpeg
02-23-23 Lined Seahorse2.jpeg
02-23-23 Pygmy Filefish.jpeg
02-23-23 Rainbow Parrot.jpeg
02-23-23 Yellow Jacks and Silver Jenny.jpeg

... Visibility was pushing 50f, and sea temp was 76f, about as nice a day as one can expect for February
Gotta love that conditions report!! Nice picts as always!!

wow!!! nice finds! thanks for sharing!

I've seen 4 lionfish at the bridge recently. Now, I know you can't hunt them with spear, however, if I put the location out, maybe they will mysteriously disappear?
West side. On the wall, about 1/3 way in from the south. Hiding in a crevice. 6-8"
West Side. Rubble pile on the north side of the fishing bridge.
East Side. In the Sailboat under the bridge.
East Side.. Cripes.. can't remember. LOL..
I used to have a permit from Reef but it expired years ago. Even then, you would have to use a net to catch them. I never did it because I wasn't about to catch LF with a net.

@Pipehorse Wow, that's an amazing condition's report! The videos were awesome too and that seahorse you found is beautiful.

I understand that construction is going to take place on the bridge and swimming/diving will be closed around mid-March-May, any further news on this and maybe more specific dates in March, I was planning a trip down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom