Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the water temperature down below and at the surface; I need to do some swim training while I'm there?
Pipehorse has been posting regular dive reports with temp. The temp had been dropping to low 70's and recently bounced up into the mid 70's. Over the last couple of days, it's dropped a couple degrees. So you can probably plan for low to mid 70's for water temp. As for surface temp, if not for the cold fronts, it's typical Florida upper 80's.

Got 4 dives in, in the past week up at the bridge. Here are some photos...

In Pipehorse fashion..
dwarf froggie, pike blenny, juvenile goliath grouper, preggo dwarf froggies, zebra sole, balloonfish, headshield slug sex (ribbon of eggs on the right), spadefish, butter hamlet sex, another barracudda, seahorse.
1346 06 froggie.jpg
1346 10 pike blenny.jpg
1347 03 goliath grouper.jpg
1347 04 preggo female.jpg
1346 05 zebra sole.jpg
1348 02 balloonfish.jpg
1348 06 headshield sex.jpg
1349 03 spadefish bw.jpg
1349 10 hamlets.jpg
1349 11 barracuda.jpg
1349 12 red seahorse.jpg

zebra sole,
I've never seen/heard of that before...Gotta love BHB !!
Great picts!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0620 for an 0626 tide. Water passed the visibility test, but it was very windy almost out of the north. Westside was very chopped up. It was mostly empty I would say about 5 other die hard divers. I was not interested in a night dive so waited for some daylight, and entered the water at 0700 on the westside. Visibility was about 20ft but deteriorated rapidly due to the changing tide. Sea temp was a brrr 73f. Did a REEF fish survey of 53 species in 60 minutes. Seahorses but no pipefish, Dusky Cardinalfish but not Freckled Cardinalfish, and Spotfin Flounder but no Spottail Flounders. I believe this little orange/red seahorse is becoming the most photographed subject at BHB for February. Respectively, Phoronopsis californica, Juvenile Scrawled Cowfish, Orange/Red Seahorse, Spotfin Flounder, and Striped Parrotfish. Despite the fact that Striped Parrotfish are one of the most common inhabitants at BHB, I have never a posted an image of one before. I hope they don't feel taken for granted.
02-18-23 Phoronopsis californica.jpeg
02-18-23 Scrawled Cow.jpeg
02-18-23 Seahorse.jpeg
02-18-23 Spotfin Flounder.jpeg
02-18-23 Striped Parrotfish.jpeg

I hope it warms up a little today. Did anyone dive this morning and provide a temp update?

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0635 for 0719 hightide. A few more people there than yesterday but not crowded. Entered the water on the westside at 0700. @MrChen water temp was still 73f, and visibility was 15-20ft range (btw, Pura Vida had 68-70f for offshore temps posted on a bulletin board at the shop). Did a REEF fish count of 68 species in 70 minutes. Did around the bridge pilings, underneath the pier, and algae patches in front of the west lifeguard stand. Nudibranchs are relatively small creatures, a few species measure less than one inch. So as nudibranchs go, the Regal Sea Goddess (I know it as the Florida Regal Sea Goddess) is a giant. The one I observed today is among the largest I have ever seen. In the image it is about the same size as a small Polka Dot Batfish, 5-6" long. Respectively, Female Bluethroat Pikeblenny, Dash Goby, Regal Sea Goddess & Polka Dot Batfish, Small Lined Seahorse, and Regal Sea Goddess Video.
02-19-23 Bluethroat Pikeblenny.jpeg
02-19-23 Dash Goby.jpeg
02-19-23 Regal Sea Goddess and Polka Dot Batfish.jpeg
02-19-23 Small Lined Seahorse.jpeg

I hope it warms up a little today. Did anyone dive this morning and provide a temp update?
A little south of the bridge vis was 30' before I mucked things up & water temp was low enough to cause me to make noise when entering with a 3/2 full suit, but I became comfortable as I began to work. Estimate temperature as low 70's. I didn't have a thermometer. Vis was measured by how far forward of a boat's bow I could get & still see the rudder.

Here's a few pics from Sunday night. On the west side, I'd say 5-10ft of vis, low 70's. This kid was playing with sargassum at the edge of the water and dropping it on one of the bridge pylons. Anything he found living, he put in an ice cream bucket. He was excited by all the life he was finding. I peeked into his bucket and found 2 juvenile frog fish! I couldn't believe it. Within 3 ft of the bridge pylon and in 3 inches of water... I was tempted to grab my camera and lay at the edge of the water to pick through the sargassum.

1676950945185.png
1676950974839.png
1676951001354.png
1676951030858.png
1676951051100.png
PXL_20230219_222351372.MP.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom