Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Pipehorse @Divin'Papaw @Scuba_Jenny @Lostdiver71 + and others using TG-6

- Use HD Macro Lenses in your setup? +1, +2, +3, +4 ?
- Use a Coated HD Digital filter? UV, Polarized, Fluorescent ?
- Use gradual filter color kit? Orange, Yellow, Blue, Purple, Red, Grey ?

Thank you for your input and feedback

I don’t have a TG-6 but it does look like an awesome camera.

qq for the thread, Pacific NW diver here, but diving BHB in early March. What's the typical wetsuit thickness folks use at that time of year? I dive HI in a 5mm, but also Key Largo in OCT with 3/2.
to me it always depends on the person.

The water temp will be in the mid 70's - I have dove there 4-5 times during time frame.

Me - I don't need anything - daughter and wife - 5mm wetsuit or they are calling the dive really early.

I have actually never dove BHB where I need a wetsuit but I have a high cold tolerance.

That said if you can dive the Pacific in a 5mm you don't need much for BHB in March.

We may actually see you there - we are stopping on the way down for Key Largo.

@Jake 10, I don't shoot with a TG6. I have a D300s and D800 both in Ikelite housings with Sea and Sea strobes, but I rarely use them anymore. Almost all the images and videos posted here in SB are taken with iphone 12pro max in a Sealife Sportdiver with ambient light. Occasionally I will point my flashlight to light a dark corner, for getting a Rusty Goby, or Freckled Cardinalfish.

@RVBldr, sea temperature that time of year is 71-76f, with 73f as the average. Personally, I wear a full hood and 5mm for those temps.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0745 for an 0543 high tide. The park was about as empty as it gets. Yes, I understand that is a little late for after high tide. However, I have found that since the water is flowing to the south the water in front of the beach (snorkel trail) is not completely corrupted visibility wise. Entered the water east of east lifeguard stand. Visibility was 20ft, and sea temp was an unseasonably warm 78f. I had the place to myself with exception of the lifeguard who arrives early to swim laps before starting work. Did a REEF fish count of 63 species in 90 minutes. Mostly wandered around in the shallows of the algae patches in the swim area before moving out to the snorkel trail Observed a Regal Demoiselle, Pregnant Orange Seahorse, 2 Shortfin Pipefish, 3 Pygmy Filefish, Trunkfish, Bluethroat Pikeblenny, and more then a few Moon Jellyfish. Respectively, A Day at the Beach, Pygmy Filefish, Regal Demoiselle, Seahorse, and Trunkfish.
02-02-23 A day at the beach.jpeg
02-02-23 Pygmy Filefish.jpeg
02-02-23 Regal Demosoille.jpeg
02-02-23 Seahorse.jpeg
02-02-23 Trunkfish.jpeg

@Pipehorse @Divin'Papaw @Scuba_Jenny @Lostdiver71 + and others using TG-6

- Use HD Macro Lenses in your setup? +1, +2, +3, +4 ?
- Use a Coated HD Digital filter? UV, Polarized, Fluorescent ?
- Use gradual filter color kit? Orange, Yellow, Blue, Purple, Red, Grey ?

Thank you for your input and feedback
I have an Inon macro lens that I used with my previous camera. It requires a step up adapter for the housing to accomadate the larger mm size. I did not notice much difference. So, not overly impressed.
No other filters. I do use a video light and am looking at upgrading to a stobe. But for now it's ambient light when not using the video light. Oh, and Affinity Photo.. the comparable to photoshop without the cost. I do some cropping, color correction and rarely anything else.
qq for the thread, Pacific NW diver here, but diving BHB in early March. What's the typical wetsuit thickness folks use at that time of year? I dive HI in a 5mm, but also Key Largo in OCT with 3/2.
When I dived this weekend I had a 5mm Henderson hyperstretch with a 1mm pullover, and hood. Sunday with the sunshine and milder temps, the water did not seem as cold as the previous day. But, I get cold easy and it's normal for me to do a 2 hr+ dive.

From Sundays dive.
@Pipehorse .. I think I know the species on the juvie (second photo). but appreciate the help.
In pipehorse fashion..
jellyfish, juvenile uh.... chub? mohorra (sp)?, Sea horse giving me the sideeye, one eyed balloonfish :( , Harliquen seabass, spadefish, flounder, long arm octopus

Attachments

• 1344 12 octo.jpg
    1344 12 octo.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 1344 09 flounder.jpg
    1344 09 flounder.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 1344 08 spadefish.jpg
    1344 08 spadefish.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 1344 07 harliquen seabass.jpg
    1344 07 harliquen seabass.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 1344 05 balloonfish.jpg
    1344 05 balloonfish.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1344 04 seahorse.jpg
    1344 04 seahorse.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1344 03 juvie.jpg
    1344 03 juvie.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 41
  • 1344 01 jelly.jpg
    1344 01 jelly.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 48
juvenile uh.... chub? mohorra (sp)?
Grass Porgy/Shad Porgy Calamus actifrons , nice find BTW. The jellyfish is a Spot Winged Comb Jellyfish Ocyropsis maculata The flounder is a Channel Flounder Syacium micrurum I think at this point the fastest resource we have for identifying fish and critters at BHB is Blue Heron Project at inaturalist

What's the point of using macro lenses with TG-6? You can shoot point blank with this camera, up to 1 cm.

What's the point of using macro lenses with TG-6? You can shoot point blank with this camera, up to 1 cm.
True.. for me, I was looking for increased detail

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom