Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone clarify the proper timing for diving the bridge. I saw one site that says enter 30 minutes before high tide time I have also heard 1 hour. I was told that the guided night dive I booked with Pura Vida starts at 5:30 which is 1 hr and 25 min before the listed tide time (6:55). So what's the right number? I am sure it's not a pinpoint time but there is a big difference in 30 and 1hr 25 min.

What is the rule with fishing at the Park? Are people allowed to fish anywhere from land? Are there actual rules governing dropping fishing lines near a diver down flag? I ask because a guy fishing off the wall by the beach, was casting right where my buddy and I were diving, with a flag, and when we pointed out politely that there were a number of divers down there, he blew us off and said he can fish anywhere in the park. So that made me wonder about whether there are any rules regarding that. I know a boat can't approach a flag but what about shore fishermen?

There is an ongoing discussion on the Blue Heron Bridge Preservation Society Facebook group about this topic. It is an ongoing issue and will probably always be so. Recently divers were actually hooked by a fisherman and brought to the surface apparently intentionally. Yes there are rules as to where they can fish just like there are rules as to where we can dive. I don't have them memorized but they are out there. When I dive at BHB I am always SUPER CAUTIOUS when approaching either bridge span or any of the walls.

Fisherman vs Divers is always in constant tension in FL and not just at BHB. Even offshore on the artificial reefs. Yes we love to dive them but fisherman also love to fish them. It is a delicate balance.

Can someone clarify the proper timing for diving the bridge. I saw one site that says enter 30 minutes before high tide time I have also heard 1 hour. I was told that the guided night dive I booked with Pura Vida starts at 5:30 which is 1 hr and 25 min before the listed tide time (6:55). So what's the right number? I am sure it's not a pinpoint time but there is a big difference in 30 and 1hr 25 min.

There is no magic number. It's not a rule. You can shore dive BHB from sunrise to sunset and at night via a permit. Those are the "rules". If diving from a boat you can dive it anytime you want.

The question is when can you expect the best conditions? Typically that occurs between 1 hr before and 1 hr after high tide. I regularly dive it between 1.5 hrs before and 1.5 hrs after high tide but that's just me. But there is no "right number".

When you enter and exit the water depends on how much current you are willing to handle. Experienced divers like @Scuba_Jenny use muck sticks to allow you to stay anchored with increasing current thus increasing the time spent on the dive. Also remember that the visibility will start to decrease after high tide as the water in the river begins to flow back out to the ocean. Be safe

Thanks for that info. Makes sense now. So outside of high tide it is like Midwest muck diving with a current.:eyebrow::eyebrow:

Thanks for that info. Makes sense now. So outside of high tide it is like Midwest muck diving with a current.:eyebrow::eyebrow:

Pretty much! You nailed it.

If it has been very rainy or if the seas have been really stirred up it can be like Midwest muck diving even at high tide. Thankfully that is pretty rare.

When considering when to enter the water, my general rule of thumb...
I take into account how long I will be diving, then adjust it so high tide falls in the middle. Then I add in current conditions, buddies air consumption, temperature of water, etc., and adjust accordingly.

As for a muck stick. It is a must have. Most seasoned bridge divers carry at least one. Not only is it good to help keep you "anchored" when the current is running-- especially if trying to maintain neutral buoyancy and shooting pictures, it also allows an opportunity to move things GENTLY (put them back!!!) when exploring without fear of getting stung or bit. I know of divers that use them as a reference point when multiples are shooting something very tiny..

Well first dive at the bridge under my (weight)belt. The guided night dive with Pura Vida was great! Vis was as far as my light would shine so many critters. I will try to post my feeble pics when I get them downloaded. I will be back for more in the daytime as soon as I can.

I did a dive at the bridge yesterday morning. 6:54 am high tide. plan to get there about sun up, and head in.
Pulled into the parking lot. Nobody there. huh? check the tide tables. Yep, 2 independent tables say we are on time. But nobody there! So we decided to do a water check. Flat calm, clear water. huh.
Ok, get in. no flags. nobody. Buddy and I had the park to ourselves! We got a nice easy 90 min. dive. Exit the water, no flags anywhere.
Very odd. In the over 200 dives I've done at the bridge I have never witnessed this before.
Heck, a couple years ago was there for an early morning high tide, it was 40 degrees out with a blowing wind, and the parking lot was filling up!
Go figure...

I did a dive at the bridge yesterday morning. 6:54 am high tide. plan to get there about sun up, and head in.
Pulled into the parking lot. Nobody there. huh? check the tide tables. Yep, 2 independent tables say we are on time. But nobody there! So we decided to do a water check. Flat calm, clear water. huh.
Ok, get in. no flags. nobody. Buddy and I had the park to ourselves! We got a nice easy 90 min. dive. Exit the water, no flags anywhere.
Very odd. In the over 200 dives I've done at the bridge I have never witnessed this before.
Heck, a couple years ago was there for an early morning high tide, it was 40 degrees out with a blowing wind, and the parking lot was filling up!
Go figure...

It was your lucky day indeed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom