Blue Heron Bridge Lobster Catching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downunder_WPB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Alright there seems to be some confusion (maybe it is just me) as to whether one can catch lobster at the BHB.

It seems to be that the area is designated a 'no-take' zone:

The entire Blue Heron Bridge area is a deemed “No-Take Zone” for spearfishing or lobster harvesting, and the possession of nets and slurp-guns for tropical fish collecting is seriously frowned upon

Src: Blue Heron Bridge | Palm Beach Diving Association

I've also read this else where on the forum, however even here there was some confusion wrt the harvesting of rare tropical fish.

My confusion lies in that I've read the regulations by FWC and it does not mention their or elsewhere their website that the BHB is a no-take zone nor does it mention that lobster fishing is not allowed within 100 yards of a bridge (only spearfishing is not allowed) as I've also read somewhere on this forum.

So, within the rhelm of legality (and not one's personal beliefs on whether it should or should not be done due to the areas conservation efforts), is it legal to harvest lobster assuming one has the proper salt-water lobster permits from the FWC and measures them/checks for egg-bearing females .etc.?

Last edited:
The no-take zone is something many divers wish for and misrepresent as a fact. Actually, you have it right: FWC regulations apply and I think the County has a regulation against taking tropical fish for commercial purposes (hobby collecting is allowed). But, that's it.

The no-take zone is something many divers wish for and misrepresent as a fact. Actually, you have it right: FWC regulations apply and I think the County has a regulation against taking tropical fish for commercial purposes (hobby collecting is allowed). But, that's it.

Indeed, I just received a response from the FWC and they said that taking lobster for rec purposes in the area is allowed with the proper salt-water lobster permits. I've emailed Phil Foster at BHB to see if its ok with them as well, just to cover my basis. But their website already says its just discouraged.

it is most certainly frowned upon and most divers accept the area as "no take" in order for all to enjoy seeing critters.

Taking lobsters would be met with hostility by the locals. Please don't do it. there are plenty of places to go bug hunting

I dive there whenever I am in the area.

A small spot like that with the amount of dive pressure it gets it can be a barren desert in no time if people didn't respect it as a no take zone. Please leave some life for us to see.

Too true. Its so easy to get lobsters from the boats why push it for the bridge. Especially for locals such as yourself. Support the dive boats with your hunting and leave the park for the enjoyment of all.

I used to live in Palm Beach Gardens until earlier this year and went out with Jupiter Dive Center every Saturday morning when marine conditions allowed. Always came back with bugs during lobster season.

As is the case with many shops, once the staff get to know you, they'll drop you on their best spots. Many Captain's use their own personal GPS spots for their good customers.

I highly recommend getting a solo certification. That allows shops to give you a personal drop on the sites that are best for lobstering while the shop keeps it's insurance coverage intact, otherwise you'll probably be dropped with sightseeing divers and will have to hope for the best. The best bug sites are usually not the best sightseeing spots, at least in Palm Beach County

Narcosis was another good boat for lobstering too

Last edited:
On that note, does anyone know of a good dive boat/rec club that does lobster hunting/spearfishing in the WPB area?
Little Deeper (www.littledeepercharters.com) is one of the best. probably has the most experienced captain and crew in the area.

perhaps it's time to have FWC reconsider it's stance on the BHB....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom