Blue Heron Bridge Fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The no fishing during high tide seemed like an elegant solution, we've been staying away from the east and west bridge areas (unfortunately, where a lot of the good sightings are) when busy with fishermen because of this. I find it hard to believe anyone would hook a diver on purpose .. but there have been a lot of cases and, accidental or not, !@#%, that could really hurt!

Most fishermen are Black or Hispanic, most divers are White. My gut feeling tells me this is going to be an escalating confrontation between the two parties with unknown results. I hope nobody dies.

I was completely unaware of the history of the bridge, the park, and the emotions at play until I read this thread and dug into it some more, so I’m super grateful to everyone for that. It definitely shines a new light on the issue. I came across a research article that referred to it as “tidal gentrification” and that really helped me to see both sides of the issue. I really hope we can come to a semblance of co-recreating.

What I don't get is why the park and bridge are popular fishing sites. I almost never see any game fish large enough to make it worth keeping (not even factoring if it is of legal size). Maybe during incoming or outgoing tide they have some luck but I have yet to even see anyone bring in a fish. I have seen plenty of fishing lines, lures and hooks caught on various structures.

Most fishermen are Black or Hispanic, most divers are White. My gut feeling tells me this is going to be an escalating confrontation between the two parties with unknown results. I hope nobody dies.
The fisherman who hooked me at the bridge was white. That said, white people kill each other over stupid stuff all the time as well.

This is likely the most rapid remedy, because divers have already been collecting evidence of exactly this, and I'm fully confident that if I put out a request for more evidence, it will be easy to get.
I'm not so sure about that. Although it's happened to me, I don't have the incident on video. I have my memory of the incident and my word. The local sheriff has a report of the incident, but again it's all just based on my word.

You know maybe a couple pole mounted cameras with easy web access to replay videos from the last hour or two could go a long way here. Someone reports an incident, then they or the local cops could replay the video and Bob's your uncle as the Brits would say. I think easy public access to the video is key. Something requiring a judge to sign off or a lot of effort from LE probably isn't going to be used. Public webcams are commonplace so there shouldn't be any legal trouble with the idea.

Heck, some pole mounted cameras would be great for seeing conditions for diving as well. An underwater camera would be awesome too, and there are companies that make them...I think most designs have a squeegee arm that wipes the dome on a regular basis that would have to be replaced sometimes, but local shops are there every weekend and if they started an installation and maintenance fund, I'm sure enough divers would donate to cover the costs.

Heck, some pole mounted cameras would be great for seeing conditions for diving as well. An underwater camera would be awesome too, and there are companies that make them...I think most designs have a squeegee arm that wipes the dome on a regular basis that would have to be replaced sometimes, but local shops are there every weekend and if they started an installation and maintenance fund, I'm sure enough divers would donate to cover the costs.

Deerfield Pier has a live underwater camera as well as great beach cams.

Deerfield Beach Live Cameras | Deerfield Beach, FL - Official Website

I thought there used to be an underwater cam there. I believe the Boy Scouts installed it. It must have failed or been removed because I can't find it anymore. I must be confusing it with another site as I can't find anything about it online.

I'd definitely donate to fund an underwater cam at BHB.

The fisherman who hooked me at the bridge was white. That said, white people kill each other over stupid stuff all the time as well.
They sure do. But I've used the word "most", if you paid attention.

This topic first appeared on March 27, 2021 under the heading "BHB on Undercurrent". The east span bridge has remained open to fishing, i.e. the absence of "No Fishing" signs. Since then, can anybody definitively report a diver being hooked by a fisherman? By definitive I mean a copy or link to a police report, fire department report, FDOT report, some actual documentation. Without actual documentation, there is no reason or proof of why the situation should not remain status quo.

We just spent a week diving every (divable) high tide at BHB. No issues with fishermen whatsoever. Parking, however, was another issue.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom