Trip Report Blue Heron Bridge always provides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Blue Heron Bridge on November 20-2021. Bad viz but odd creatures, most notably:

-Whitenose pipefish (photo will be posted). So cool
-Spaghetti worms
-White nudibranch (bad video--cannot id)

…And this fish in about 10 ft of water South of the bridge in the sand. Used dorsal fin for swimming. Who can help identify this one? I can send a video to those who need more of the fish to ID

Attachments

• 1B59A30F-0F4A-43C0-9C7A-6F45E30A2FE6.jpeg
    1B59A30F-0F4A-43C0-9C7A-6F45E30A2FE6.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 162
Wow, very cool! That is a very odd shaped fish, and I have no clue what family it belongs to never mind, what species. I am thinking something that is usually in very deep water and has lost its way, but that is complete speculation on my part.

I believe it may be a type of puffer. Possibly a blunthead puffer. The description and some of the photos on the STRI GC seem to match pretty closely.

Great capture!!!

Page from the STRI GC. Phone app has more photos and a few look alot like your photo.

That would be my guess at least.

Blue Heron Bridge on November 20-2021. Bad viz but odd creatures, most notably:

-Whitenose pipefish (photo will be posted). So cool
-Spaghetti worms
-White nudibranch (bad video--cannot id)

…And this fish in about 10 ft of water South of the bridge in the sand. Used dorsal fin for swimming. Who can help identify this one? I can send a video to those who need more of the fish to ID
Okay, see attached images Smooth Puffer - Lagocephalus laevigatus. Habitat described in book: Maine to Florida, Gulf of Mexico, Bahamas, and Caribbean Sea to Argentina. Also in the eastern Atlantic. Adults pelagic over continental shelves, Juveniles occur near shore and over offshore banks
Book Image.jpg
Smoothpuffer Image.jpg

Okay, see attached images Smooth Puffer - Lagocephalus laevigatus. Habitat described in book: Maine to Florida, Gulf of Mexico, Bahamas, and Caribbean Sea to Argentina. Also in the eastern Atlantic. Adults pelagic over continental shelves, Juveniles occur near shore and over offshore banksView attachment 692162View attachment 692163

That was another possibility I just found as well.

I'm pretty positive it's a puffer. Either a smooth or a blunthead.

I believe it may be a type of puffer. Possibly a blunthead puffer. The description and some of the photos on the STRI GC seem to match pretty closely.

Great capture!!!

Page from the STRI GC. Phone app has more photos and a few look alot like your photo.

That would be my guess at least.
Fins seem wrong, particularly the dorsal and ventral.

But, maybe the Smooth Puffer

That was another possibility I just found as well.

I'm pretty positive it's a puffer. Either a smooth or a blunthead.
His picture looks dead on for the Smooth Puffer (IMHO). REEF database doesn't have it listed anywhere for tropical western atlantic, so it must be rarely seen.

His picture looks dead on for the Smooth Puffer (IMHO). REEF database doesn't have it listed anywhere for tropical western atlantic, so it must be rarely seen.

I agree but always be careful with making ID from one artist rendering. That has tripped me up before. But I do agree, I think smooth puffer is more likely than a blunthead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom