Blue Grotto up for sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Grotto could be a great place to Dive. I will not go back under current ownership. I had a really bad experience with the Blue Grotto staff the last time I had a class there. Very bad attitudes. So bad, my students and customers noticed. Rude and unprofessional. If the right people bough Blu Grotto, it could be a 1st class destination. The current owner should sell it. All divers would be better off. I am not fond of they way they do business.

USAF Diver:
Does anyone know if the state has any interest in it or a reason to buy it?
In this particular state, that might not be a good thing. Natural resources in FL go to the highest bidder, unless the lower bidder is a business partner.

Dang Mark, maybe we need to hit it again before she closes.
Chris

works for me.....................

Acording to the 12/09 issue of the St.Pete Times only 7 bids were submitted to buy Blue Grotto with the top bid being $1.65 million. All were rejected. The $1.65 bid was increased to $2 million unofficially later. All bidders were interested in Blue Grotto for it's dive business not the water.

The going price for daily dive fees in the area being $30, it would take a heck of a lot of dive days purchased to offset $2 million, even with fills, equipment sales, and what not else added on.

Its not worth what he was asking, that is why the bids were so low....

Its a fair training site, but its not a fun place to dive - you wont get returns like Devils Den and Paradise Springs. Even so, the reputation of that place is also down due to the current owner/seller, so the new one has to really push to bring that back up as well - if they are nicer folks then that might just happen.

simbrooks:
Its not worth what he was asking, that is why the bids were so low.... the reputation of that place is also down due to the current owner/seller... if they are nicer folks then that might just happen.
"Worth" is a funny concept. There was a time when $2 mil was an outlandish fingure. Today, that amount gets a smaller, older joint that needs fixups on a plug canal in So FL. My own home has doubled in value in less than 5 years.

That is a nice property, and its in a beautiful part of the state. If a person raised horses or emus or grapes or velcro, it would be worth it. But you are absolutely right on about having to overcome the baggage of the current owner. Let's hope that the next one keeps the diving alive, doesn't turn it in to Disney Cavern, and actually respects the people who go there and give them money.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom