Blue Grotto Report - 7/2/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saturday, the Tallahassee Scubaclub met up with Jeandiver at Blue Grotto in Williston, FL. After driving through several rainstorms during the 2.5hr drive, we counted ourselves lucky as it turned out to be an ok day, and this kept some divers away. We arrived at 8:30 in order to get good conditions as this site gets quite cloudy after the OW classes come through. Blue Grotto is a sinkhole with no flow, but usually 100ft viz before anyone stirs its up. With OW, cavern and some cave, it has multiple levels of diving.

After getting checked in, we suited up and jumped in. This is when Murhpy took over. I broke a fin strap right away, and had to make do with a spare mask strap. Another in my group had a bad LPI and had to abort. Then during an S drill, Jeans hose completely seperated from her 2nd stage. That was fixed easily, but finally after everything seemed ok, and we headed down, a 4th one in our group pulled his dump completely off his BC, resulting in an inability to hold air. A rarity luckily, but a great demonstration as to why to have drop weights and be weighted properly and have a buddy nearby.

Finally after everyone was back int he water, we headed in and toured the cavern down to 50ft, where it turns into a bt of a cave. Viz was great at 100ft, and we had a blast. WHile under it started to pour and this made for some great views of the surface. After a SI and the greatest BBQ sandwiches ever from the Blue Grotto BBQ guy, we headed back into a not as impressive dive, now that viz was reduced to 30ft. Still, we had a lot of fun.

On the way home we stopped by Manatee to check conditions, and saw the river was up, but not affecting the basins, though it was quite full of swimmers. Here are some pics of the dives, and a link to the rest.

http://northfloridadiver.net/media/pics/grotto705.htm

Thanks for the report. I love the picture where it is raining.

Matt

I have not been to Blue Grotto in about a year. From your pictures it looks like they have rebuilt the main platform. It looks like there is a floating platform on both sides of the stairs into the water. Is that true?

Take care,

Mark Vlahos

In a way i was glad i wasnt able to go, i dont like things breaking!! :wink: Glad you had a good time, hopefully if these hurricanes pass nicely we can get diving up in the panhandle later this month!!!

Hey , I had a blast with all of you on Saturday DESPITE the rain and the gear , er , Murphy-fying...!!!
Even thought the viz wasn't quite so hot on the 2nd dive , diving/hanging out with wonderful buddies like yourself , well that makes it GREAT!

Thanks for the invlte...And thanks for the pictures too!!!

And yes , those BBQ's were the BEST I have ever had...! :wink:

Take caer and hope to dive with you ALL in the club REAL SOON !!!!
(Gives me a reason to go up and do Vortex some weekend etc ... Panhandle springs)...
I would LOVE to meet more of the Panhandle crew

Jean

P.S. Even made it back and did a dive with David at Ginnie , even though I was REALLY REALLY REALLY making sure that 2nd stage didn't blow off the hose again...
Dang , that was nerveracking to say the least...

Hey Jean,

Us Panhandlers have caves too! Nice ones at that. If your ever over this way (specially during the summer) let me know.

Mark Vlahos:
I have not been to Blue Grotto in about a year. From your pictures it looks like they have rebuilt the main platform. It looks like there is a floating platform on both sides of the stairs into the water. Is that true?

Take care,

Mark Vlahos
No, its more like one big platform with stairs on the right side now.

WaterDawg:
Hey Jean,

Us Panhandlers have caves too! Nice ones at that. If your ever over this way (specially during the summer) let me know.

Oh for sure!!!
One of these weekends , I am going to be headed out your way ... !!!
Probably within a couple of weeks or so ...

Let me know what I should try OK???
(Vortex , Morrison etc ... )

Jean

jeandiver:
Oh for sure!!!
One of these weekends , I am going to be headed out your way ... !!!
Probably within a couple of weeks or so ...

Let me know what I should try OK???
(Vortex , Morrison etc ... )

Jean

The Mill pond!!!!!!!!!

ck out www.caveadventurers.com its got info on thoses sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom