Blue Angel Dive site? Possibly...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
I would rather have left the 3 UH-1H's that I had shot out from under me in the Gulf for all of us to dive than where I did. I'm sure a couple of guys that I knew who weren't so lucky wouldn't mind, either.

I'll second that Kraken. I worked for Sikorsky Support Services Inc. in Troy, AL, crash-damage recovery) from '92 - '99 and one of our pilots at SSSI had left three or four UH-60s in Vietnam, but he's still around to tell the tales of all of 'em, including one where he managed to bring it down in a safety zone after having all of his hydraulics and lines shot up and no controls.

Anyway, back with Sikorsky in the 90s, (not sure about now) the government had more money to repair damaged or crashed aircraft than it had to buy new ones because the funding came from different budget accounts, so we salvaged SEVERAL H-60s and H-53s that were either downed at sea, in rain forests, or crashed full-speed into the side of a mountain, and put 'em back together again for Uncle Sam.

Quite literaly - if we could recover the serial number plate, we could "repair" the helicopter around that serial number plate.

If that fellow left a UH-60 in Viet Nam, he was one helluva pilot because they weren't made back then. Maybe he said OH-6???

Hydraulics out !!! That's a bugger. That's next in line after a transmission seizure.

Glad he was there.

The Kraken:
If that fellow left a UH-60 in Viet Nam, he was one helluva pilot because they weren't made back then. Maybe he said OH-6???

Hydraulics out !!! That's a bugger. That's next in line after a transmission seizure.

Glad he was there.

I wasn't around back then either, so it may have been a 6 ... he flies 60s these days, so I assumed it was the same ... I'm pretty sure it was a blackhawk though, because he used to say they didn't have the kevlar lining along the belly like we put into 'em today and he'd be flying along with smallarms fire tearing up through the belly of his chopper and into the cockpit with him.

Bob was quite a character. The one he got the hydraulics shot out of, I think he only made it about a half-mile or so to an LZ, but that was enough.

yup, vietnam predates the introduction of Blackhawks by a good many years. Can't have been UH-60's he wrecked.

chickdiver:
No, actually I don't rubberneck- and I detest those who do. It slows down traffic and is generally rude.

I also dive plenty of real wrecks. In point of fact, I would have no problem with diving a wreck like this- what I have a problem with is the morbid curiosity and enthusiastic response to a sad event by our local shore diving guru.

Never rubbernecked at an accident? Not even a peek out of the corner of your eye? Not once in your life?

CaveDiverJeff:
Never rubbernecked at an accident? Not even a peek out of the corner of your eye? Not once in your life?
Being a "chick" diver, she was probably too busy putting on her makeup. J/k

So, if that aircraft is going to be removed from the water, or already is, that means someone has to dive down to put the hook(s) on it to bring it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom