Blowing Tank Air on a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never blown off my dust cap with my tank.... although it has never bothered me when others do it.

I have one friend in particular that complains about it a lot...... so when I'm with him, I grab his octo before he unhooks and purge it onto my dust cap. When he starts to object, I loudly proclaim "This is not a contest, and no one cares how much pressure you have left!"

One of these days I'm sure he will shove me right off the boat. :) LOL

We always blow the salt water off our dust caps before we put them back on our first stage. The sound is almost as annoying as the sound that the other divers make when they analyze their nitrox tanks before the dive.

We are not Dutch, but we do dive in Bonaire.

I'm guilty of doing this when I am diving yoke adapters my din caps stay on the boat and normally don't need blowing out. I guess y'all won't want to share a boat with me.

I also scratch what itches, cuss, smoke big cigars and generally have a good time on a dive trip in other words in "that guy". Short blasts of high pressure air may be loud but are generally harmless.

I'm guilty of doing this when I am diving yoke adapters my din caps stay on the boat and normally don't need blowing out. I guess y'all won't want to share a boat with me.

I also scratch what itches, cuss, smoke big cigars and generally have a good time on a dive trip in other words in "that guy". Short blasts of high pressure air may be loud but are generally harmless.

I would rather you curse and blow smoke rings into my face while scratching your balls and spilling your scotch than hear the tank valve open. That is how much I have grown to hate the practice.

It's unnecessary and annoying.

I blow air from the tank onto my dust cap after every dive. I gently open the value and have it open for 2-3 seconds. Then, I sit with smoking divers for an hour surface interval. Thinking about it now, it has only been smokers who have raised eyebrows when I open the valve to blow air onto my dust cap. A bit hypocritical me thinks.
GJS

Short blasts of high pressure air usually accompany the beans at lunch.

Jump in a bathtub and you've got a Southern Jaquzzi.

As for the OP, I've got a QD nozzle that I clip onto the power inflator hose post dive and I can blowdry whatever I want on the way back to shore. The engine noise is louder anyways. If we're anchored up and I want to dry my stuff at the end of the day, so be it. Suck it up buttercup if you don't like it. I'm not there to please anyone but myself and my wife. Then again, I try to be very conscious about who's around when I do it.

Thought that was off gassing? :rolleyes::cheers:

The sound that the air blown to the dust cap does is lower that the sound that is produced when purging the second stages prior to disassembly of the first stage from the tank valve. If that noise bothers you, you should choose another sport.
There are dust caps that can be easily dried with a towel, some others, like mine SP MK25, cannot be dried with a towel, so I need the air of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom