Blood from nose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my first dives, I often came up with what looked like lots of blood. I had difficulty equalizing in those dives. The effort and force of equalizing probably caused a few capillaries to rupture. Also, my nose produced a fair amount of mucus which I would blow out when I surfaced. A little blood in some mucus can make a really impressive mess. But I know from my days of working with blood as a research tech years ago that even trivial quantities of blood, like 1 or 2 mm, can really LOOK very impressive. Blood has so much red pigment, hemoglobin, in it that tiny quantities can turn large volumes of liquids a bright red. Now, as I became reasonably proficient at equalizing, I stopped seeing blood. I sometimes still get the mucus production.

Dive snots...A new thread? A poll?

In my first dives, I often came up with what looked like lots of blood. I had difficulty equalizing in those dives. The effort and force of equalizing probably caused a few capillaries to rupture. Also, my nose produced a fair amount of mucus which I would blow out when I surfaced. A little blood in some mucus can make a really impressive mess. But I know from my days of working with blood as a research tech years ago that even trivial quantities of blood, like 1 or 2 mm, can really LOOK very impressive. Blood has so much red pigment, hemoglobin, in it that tiny quantities can turn large volumes of liquids a bright red. Now, as I became reasonably proficient at equalizing, I stopped seeing blood. I sometimes still get the mucus production.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom