Blood donation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if you medical sorts had any feed back on red blood cell generation after blood donation? I understand that the fluids are replenished fairly quickly, but after donating earlier this week, I found that I could not re-warm after two dives in cool water (59-62F.) Could it be related?

Hi kelpmermaid,

Depends upon the individual, but it can take up to 8 weeks or more to replace the entire red cell mass lost to donation. Typically, however, by 7-14 days this mass will be substantially replenished for functional purposes.

The most important matter for a return to diving is replacement of lost fluid volume, and that usually is complete by 24 hours post-donation. A very conservative wait would be 72 hours.

You do not say how long it was between your donation & diving, and do not comment on whether or not it is unusual for you to have difficulty warming after several dives in 59F-62F water. However, if the two events were close in time, and the warming delay was atypical, then, yes, the donation may have contributed something.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such. Contact your physician if you feel there is a medical problem.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom