Blade or Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all, I have tried the Frog Kick once or twice i try to devlop it not a frog kick person i have always swam with the Flutter Kick/Dolphin. I am in a Drysuit And have got all my equipment Halcyon set-up so alot of good advice from everyone as to the gear just not 100% if want to spend the extra cash i will have to find a way to try a pair out.

I have a pair of Apollo split fins and they suck just like the rest of the split fins, they are just a gimmick, I also have the oms and a pair of turtle's. I will beat anyone hands down in a race with my fins against split fins. I was diving 8 years ago with a father and son the son was 14 years old and ten dives under his belt he had a pair of 20 year old rockets on and was kicking my butt all up and down the river. I had a pair of split fins on. Keep your turtles you did good first time out. Plus dive magazines make their money on the adds, so they are going to push the gear that makes them their money. How often do you see Apexs, Poseidon,OMS, rated in the magazines never because do not advertise in them.

:pityparty:

Oh boy, a "new" topic on SB. Does ANYONE even bother to search before posting any more?

I have a pair of Atomic splits and I love them, much more efficient and easier on the legs than the 'planks' that are out there. But don't take my word for it, next time you're on your way to Dutch, stop by Lehigh Valley Dive Center, you can rent a pair of them there and find out for yourself.

I started with frog style and switched to split. I love the split, but when I got into rescue and had to tow a diver through a current I decided to switch again. The split fins werent geting either of us very far. Now I use the sling shots. I have all three kinds now and use the sling shots most of the time. However I went back to the split fins the other day when diving the quarry and remembered why I like them so much.

Great thanks for the info i guess i might have to try and rent a pair just so i can figure it out for my self to see if i find any difference in a positive way

I actually ran an experiment comparing Scuba Pro Twin Jets, solid Jets, and AquaLung Blades. I frog kicked and flutter kicked. I went fast and slow. One caveat, I did this snorkeling.

Flutter kicking or frog kicking, the three were very similar in the number of kicks and amount of time it took me to swim down and back the 90 foot course. Yes, I frog kicked a split fin and it did fine. So my selection would be based on other things.

For example, my body composition is such that I will sink with about half a breath of air. So the heavy, negatively buoyant Jet fins would not be my choice for snorkeling since I'd have to fin to stay afloat. The split would be great for tired legs, but I don't think I have the precision with it I have with a solid fin, of course that probably isn't needed snorkeling. And the big AquaLung Blades are light (handy for travel) and allow me to make position changes with very small movements.

Of the three, I'm least happy with the Splits because of the price and because they feel less precise. If I can configure an experiment and round up the necessary dive buddies, I'll work up a scuba experiment and include some helicopter turns and reversing for good fun.

that would be great if there was some real in water tests done where people really use the fins. Such as a quarry / ocean or river not simulated tests or pool tests

I have a pair of Atomic XLs with springs that I will happily sell you. They are great fins and I really like them a lot, but I fell into a pair of Force Fins Pros, and they are now my primary fins. The Atomics are sitting in my closet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom