Bladder probs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamnid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Yes, I'm sorry, it;s a oee related question! recently when I was diving I really, really needed to pee. Fine, i thought, I'll do it when I get in the water. Unfortunately, through 2 layers of wetsuit this didn't prove to be the easy task I'd originally imagined and for the next hour I literally had to hold it in until I made it to the surface. Apart from the psychological aspect of not being able to pee under the water, despite the fact I was in agony, is it possible I could have done any damage? I haven't been having any major problems but have noticed that the need to pee comes on stronger than before now. Just wondered! Thanks.

Hi Lamnid,

Delaying urination until one is in true agony can result in intravesicular pressures high enough to cause harm to the urinary bladder or upper urinary tract. In extreme cases, damage to the kidneys potentially could occur. But, all this takes some doing.

Observation that the "need to pee comes on stronger than before now" could be suggestive of a number of conditions other than damage to the urinary system due to an episode of severely delayed voiding. For example, it can be a symptom of urinary tract infection or involvement of the prostate gland (oops--see following post).

In any event, if this "need" interferes with a normal lifestyle or if other symptoms or signs arise, such as discomfort upon urination, incontinence or dribbling, impairments in urinary flow, changes in the appearance of the urine, fever, pain in the back or side below the ribs, or nausea or vomiting, prompt contact with one's doctor is indicated.

Helpful?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Addendum: Just noticed from your profile that it's Ms. Lamnid. As such, we can rapidly rule out any prostate issues ; )

Season's greetings.

DocVikingo

Hi Diving Doc,

Given a younger diver like Lamnid, when the orbs protrude and the sclera develops a yellowish cast eye involvement may be a concern ; )

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Hi Diving Doc,

Given a younger diver like Lamnid, when the orbs protrude and the sclera develops a yellowish cast eye involvement may be a concern ; )

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

hehe :D

During my cert class, I had to pee really badly during one dive, but couldn't relax and let it out. I've had no problems since then, but something about wearing tonnes of new equipment, with two girls right next to me (I'm a bloke) and while swimming....I still can't always pee underwater if I'm trying to do something, like swim against a hard current. But if I unzip the suit and pose like when using a urinal, I have no problems. I don't like the fines for indecent exposure though, so I'm working on leaving the wetsuit on when peeing underneath!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom