Blacktip Scooter- Limited To Weighting, Buoyancy and Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stuartv oddly, mine is neutral in salt water with my almost neutral compass and 2 large bolt snaps and no steel plate.

Sure! Totally simple.

Do you have a scale that will weigh something that is roughly 25# and give you a precise number, in grams?

luggage scale, you find accurate digital ones under 20$

Edit: need to learn to read all the comments before answering ;-)

@stuartv oddly, mine is neutral in salt water with my almost neutral compass and 2 large bolt snaps and no steel plate.

Neither of the weight plates in it? Or just no thick plate?

Is your compass slightly negative, or slightly positive?

It only (apparently) takes 9.3oz of weight to take it from neutral in fresh to neutral in salt. So, maybe your extra bolt snap (compared to mine) and your compass give it that much extra weight?

Compass is slightly negative in fresh and slightly positive in salt. No plates installed at all. The bolt snaps are 1.8 ounces out of the water. I haven't dived it in fresh water but expect it to be negative.

Are people finding the published weight of 13.2kg for fresh water accurate for fresh water?

My blacktip tech dpv had the following components weights from the factory:
Lid (w/ added tow leash): 1559g
2x 3/16" nose weight plates: 558g and 559g
Salt water plate: 235g
Dewalt 9ah batteries weighed: 1450g and 1453gr

It's assembled weight was 13.395kg without the salt water plate and it was quiet negative even without the tow leash in fresh water, I'm trying to figure out if getting it down to the published weight of 13.2kg is what is going to be pretty close to neutral in freshwater, at the end of the day I'm sure I'm just going to need to experiment with it fresh water but hoping to get it really close to minimize the time messing with it.

Nosecone should be 2620g total. using dewalt 9/12ah

Take out all of the sticky wights in the motor side of the tube

Take out all of the sticky wights in the motor side of the tube

I suspect that that is a blanket statement that may not work for everybody. They don't put those in there for absolutely zero reason.

If his assembled weight is 13.395kg with both nose weight plates installed, he should probably start by just taking one of those out and adding lead shot (or BBs - what I used) to make the nose 2620 to get to his fresh water starting point.

Production variations in the density of the body tubes means there is not an absolute number for weight to have in the scooter that is going to be correct for everyone. Experimentation is required (and a pain in the butt). But, once the weight is dialed in so you have it neutral, in trim, and floating with the handle where you want it, it IS pretty sweet.

And, let's not forget that if you tweak it to dial it in in a pool (like I did), you're still going to probably need just a bit more tweaking after you take it to depth and see how much buoyancy you lose due to O-ring compression.

Back
Top Bottom