Blackthorn and Sheridan markers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wrecks of the Blackthorn and Sheridan are a couple of the top 10 on the west coast of Florida.

They are actually a swimable distance apart, about 3 minutes, if you know the heading and have the gas consumption to cross and get back.

eandiver's #s are good.

My personal coordinates are:

USCG Cutter Blackthorn 2752.618 8311.234, center/stern. Bow lays south to north. it's better for fish now that it has broken up. The wreck lays on it's port side and is still generally together, but in several close sections, with an easterly debris field. Now 20' of relief remains at the stern.

Sheridan Tug 2752.599 8311.125 at the Bow. Lays west to east. Still largely intact, but leaning hard to starboard. (Unless the last front finally pushed it over.)

The marker can be unreliable, but was just off the starboard bow of the Sheridan last January.

There is another wreck that has been on the site longer than both of the others. The Seafood barge is about a 1.5 minute swim northwest of the Blackthorn at 2752.650 8311.277.

Chad

Water temps should be in the mid/upper 60's, I think. I'm game, just let me know when you're going!

N@rco$i$:
Hows the water out there around the first or second week of February. Thats when I'm thinking of going. I've got room for 2 morre people.

Chad Carney:
My personal coordinates are:

USCG Cutter Blackthorn 2752.618 8311.234, center/stern. Bow lays south to north. it's better for fish now that it has broken up. The wreck lays on it's port side and is still generally together, but in several close sections, with an easterly debris field. Now 20' of relief remains at the stern.

Sheridan Tug 2752.599 8311.125 at the Bow. Lays west to east. Still largely intact, but leaning hard to starboard. (Unless the last front finally pushed it over.)

There is another wreck that has been on the site longer than both of the others. The Seafood barge is about a 1.5 minute swim northwest of the Blackthorn at 2752.650 8311.277.

Chad

Chad - do you know the story behind the Seafood barge? And is the vessel intact or broken up? I've been out to that site several times and didn't even know that wreck was there! Cool! Thanks for posting the numbers.

Nancy,

The Seafood Barge was put down several years before the Blackthorn in 1981 and Sheridan in 1986. It is a 175' barge that is mostly intact, maybe 8' of relief, but when I saw it last January, the deck was beginning to cave in. It lays east/west about 50 yards northwest of the BT. There is a ledge at the western end of the wreck.

Many people don't like it when a wreck starts to crumble and break apart a bit. I'm the opposite, as this is when they really get inhabited by marine life.

Chad

I think I may do this dive this coming weekend, I'll let you all know later in the week. I'm thinking a two tank air dive (not nitrox yet) will have room for 2 more. ReefGuy has spot number 1 if he wants it.

aquaholic901:
I've always wanted to do these wrecks, anybody know of any reputable charters around here that visit them?

Capt Rod Brandenburg aboard Plunger.
727-443-6731

Chad

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom