Black vs. clear skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are a spearfisher black is the only color. Keeps all light in front of you, no side distractions when shooting.
Better underwater vision straight ahead. Any doubts, hold your hands alongside you head, blocking light. You see further and clearer, but a smaller field of vision.

Black skirt...

I got tired of having a urine-colored skirt after every diving season-No chicks with a skirt that looks like you just peed in it.

Another vote for black. I tried several different masks before getting my Cressi with a black skirt. I don't like the light reflection and technically, any peripheral vision you may have is just a blur anyways. But, it is definitely preference. My wife had a clear mask until she dove with mine once and that was all it took. I would recommend going to your LDS and try all them on the shelves. Look up, down side to side. Make sure it fits your face properly and notice the differences to you between the black and clear. Bottom line; it's your face, your money, your mask and your diving!
03.gif

When my then-14-year-old son was getting qualified and we were buying him basic equipment, he insisted on a clear mask skirt so he "could see the sharks coming up behind him." Seriously.

Every time I remind of that now, three years later, he just rolls his eyes...

Once you go BLACK, you never go BACK.
For cosmetic reasons, they don't turn yellow or appear stained.
For other reasons... well, it never really appealed to have Ford Model-T in clear coat.
Alternatively, you can try Mares silver colour skirt. hehe...

I like clear skirts on the ladies, but a nice black skirt can be pretty sexy as well.

I went from a clear skirt Cressi Big Eyes to a black skirt version primarily to cut out light entering from the side of my mask while I am filming. I think I remember eeling it didn't make as much difference as I expected when I made the transition. I have three Big Eyes, two with black skirts and one clear.

When I wear the dark shirted ones I look like Darth Vader which seems to keep the great white sharks... and the lovely ladies... away.

Clear skirt for me. They're a lot cooler.

If you clean them after a dive trip you'll be pleased by how little they yellow even after 3 years use. I use a soft tooth brush and mild soap. The skirt on mine, and it's 3 years old, isn't yellowed at all. The strap is a little bit and I think that's because it's just harder to clean it.

Richesb:
If you are a spearfisher black is the only color. Keeps all light in front of you, no side distractions when shooting.
Better underwater vision straight ahead. Any doubts, hold your hands alongside you head, blocking light. You see further and clearer, but a smaller field of vision.
Think about looking out a picture window particulary at dusk or night time, or peaking inside a car. You put your hands next to your eyes to block the ambiant light.
Besides, your nose will get smushed up and look funny in a clear mask.

Back
Top Bottom