Black vs. Clear Silicone on Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two low volume masks that are identical except that one has a black mask skirt while the other is clear. I like the black mask on bright sunny days and the clear mask on overcast days, night dives, and in low vis.

I prefer black, clear will get that ugly yellow look after awhile in the sun. My snorkle is starting to get it. Get a DATAMask! Thats my next scuba purchase

Who cares about about the technical reasons. Divers look waaayyy cooler in black masks. Nuff sedd. :D

Another vot for black skirts - will not buy anything else

Thank you to everyone replying and giving me your input.

I went with a black mask, It looks cooler and I feel that even at the dive shop, colors were more distinct looking through the black mask compared to the clear silicone mask.

Thanks again!

Try this out at your LDS. Put on a clear silicone Mask and stand with you back to a window and look around the shop. Note the reflections coming from behind you. This can be distracting. Now cup your hands over the Mask sides and watch the reflections disappear.

If you wear a black mask you don't have to put your hands around the mask to elimionate the reflections.

It's all there for you to judge. The only time you might prefer a clear mask is if you find yourself in a situation where the reflections are preferred. Am not sure if the reflections help reduce claustrophobia. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Damn. Just tried that trick - much clearer vision.. Off to the dive shop :shakehead::D

I have had one clear and two black skirts. I like the black much better. I did not think I would but I definitely do. I recently purchased a SeaDive black skirt with anti-fog built in. Not having to wash and defog the mask between dives is a great relief due to the desire to socialize and rest up for the next dive. It also has pink tint on the front and silver on the inside for correcting the colors at depth and anti-glare. What can I say ... I love it! Great Mask! Thanks to the Italian's.

Another vote here for black during the day and clear for night dives. I did 2 tank daytime outing and did the black on one dive and clear on the other. It made the difference as clear as..... night and day. For night dives glare is not a problem and the ability to detect my buddy's light easier makes the clear skirt advantageous.

If you're spending much time on the surface in a sunny location, a black mask will offer much better sun protection for your nose and all other areas that are under the mask skirt.

Of course that also means you get a reverse raccoon eye tan.

Back
Top Bottom