Black vs. Clear Silicone on Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shane51

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking at getting a new mask. I like the look of the masks with the black silicone, but I have my concerns.

I tried to look around online to see if there were any performance differences between clear and black silicone on diving masks, but I was unsuccessful.

Please let me know if there is any knowledge or experiences with any difference in performance of clear silicone verses black silicone.

Cheers,
Shane.

I have both a clear and a black skirted Atomic mask. I started with a clear thinking the black would be too claustrophobic, but that didn't happen because the peripheral vision is so good on low volume masks. Since getting the black, I no longer use the clear. I find it easier to focus with the black skirt when taking pictures, they don't discolor (clear will yellow, and will brown stain if put in contact with neoprene), and no weird distractions just on the periphery of the lens. But you are going to find it needs to be what you are comfortable with. I don't think there are any "Performance" differences.

I agree with Merxlin. I have several clear masks and after switching to black I will not go back. No back glare, easer on eyes. New divers may prefer clear and wrap around lenses but I think is is more of a security blanket issue.
DP

That pretty much covers it. Silicone lets in a lot more light so it's popular to put on photo subjects as it illuminates the face more.

Of course all that light behind a flat glass lens equals lots of distracting reflections anywhere near the surface or in very clear water even at depth. Major pita.

Spearfishermen tend to prefer black silicone masks.

If you dive in caves, clear silicone has a slight edge as it may make it slightly easier to pick up reflections from your buddy's dive light etc that could make it easier for you to catch a light signal or indications of a problem slightly sooner. How much of an advantage that is depends on the field of vision of a particular model and your general situational awareness. If your SA generally sucks, a clear mask skirt is not going to solve your problems.

Personally, I have the same model mask in both black and clear silicone. If cave diving I tend to use the clear one on my face and the black one as backup. In open water, I use the black one and the clear one rides as a spare.

This is from Dive Rite Express.

Why Black Dive Masks Are Better
Clear skirts on masks are popular because they minimize the claustrophobic feeling some people get when they wear a mask. For those who prefer clear, we offer an 'all clear' mask with clear skirt and frame. Nevertheless, clear skirts and even colored frames actually interfere with vision. Extraneous light entering through the clear skirt makes it more difficult for the eye to focus and causes reflections that obscure vision. Demonstrate this by looking out a window from a lighted room at twilight. You will see better by cupping your hands around your eyes as you press your face to the window. Brightly colored glossy accent frames can also cause annoying color halos around the lenses. For these reasons, knowledgeable divers seeking the best possible vision prefer masks with solid black skirts and frames.

... I too found the reflections from stray light irritating. No such problems with a black skirt.

2.c

Try this out at your LDS. Put on a clear silicone Mask and stand with you back to a window and look around the shop. Note the reflections coming from behind you. This can be distracting. Now cup your hands over the Mask sides and watch the reflections disappear.

If you wear a black mask you don't have to put your hands around the mask to elimionate the reflections.

It's all there for you to judge. The only time you might prefer a clear mask is if you find yourself in a situation where the reflections are preferred. Am not sure if the reflections help reduce claustrophobia. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Let's not forget how funny peoples noses look all squished in clear silicone. :D

I prefer black. My blinders to focus on what's important...

If you're spending much time on the surface in a sunny location, a black mask will offer much better sun protection for your nose and all other areas that are under the mask skirt. However, I would definitely choose a clear mask for night diving, as you will be able to see your buddies' lights right through the skirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom