Black sea bass are back...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I saw several of these puppies at "The garden" saturday at Anacapa (north side)... in 50-60ft of water, in the scattered kelp. sometimes alone, sometimes in groups of 2-3. 25-35ft of vis at anacapa, temps 59-61.

328487839_aENGp-L.jpg

328486208_Z6yPa-L.jpg

328488464_Vauoh-L.jpg

I also spotted this wolf eel on the Olympic wreck on sunday...

327435926_k9fSM-L.jpg

and you gotta love finding a Metridium in 60ft of water...white point, Palos verdes

328493531_vvYB6-L.jpg

coonstripe shrimp and hopkin's rose getting cozy with each other

328492489_52trE-L.jpg

more photos from my 7-dive weekend here:

Scott : photos : anacapa & olympic wreck july 5th- powered by SmugMug

and I found 2 new nudibranchs at x-mas tree cove, which always makes for a great weekend:
ladiving.org • View topic - Conualevia alba & Thordisa bimaculata, 2 new nudes

and some new fish species on the Olympic
ladiving.org • View topic - deepwater blenny, starry rockfish, ronquils

enjoy,
Scott

Last edited:
wow...cool pics! i remember the first time i saw black sea bass in the ocean--it was 11 years ago--attached to the hook on the end of my fishing line. hopefully, i'll be able to see them underwater someday, sans fishing line. :)

Nice, there was a sighting of two different ones at the Catalina Dive park three weeks ago. I didn't get to see it, but I talked to some people that did.

Nice shots of the bass!!! I have yet to see one that clearly, and I sure hope I have my camera with me when I do! Or at least a witness :D

Thanks Scott!

Ha, Scottie... the reason you just noticed they were back is that you finally took the macro lens off your camera and lifted your head up from the viewfinder for a change! Nice pix!

Nice shots. I still have yet to see the black sea bass

It is certainly encouragement to learn the Black Sea Bass (BSB - Stereolepis gigas) are returning and to have the opportunity view your photographs of these unique California fish.

Anacapa island especially in front of Frenchie's cove and Quarter Acre has been well known as a gathering spot and possibly breeding area of the BSB for many many years . I was unaware that they also populated the Gardens
They gather in large "schools" generally in shallow water and can be found in abundance during the warm summer months. Along about September/Octorber they magically, as if a school bell has rang, the schools disappear. However, on occasion they have been seen during the lobster season...As you probably know lobster is one of their favorite snacks

You have been one who has been privileged to see and photograph these magnificent fish up close and personal. Hopefully you can visit the island a number of times before October and share additional pictures with the tribe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom