Black Diamond Vs Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that you should try both and pick the one that you like the best, but here are a couple of quick thoughts...

The Ranger has rear weight pockets. If put a portion of the weight in the back, you can go ahead and dump both sides and still have some weight in the BC for control.
I don't know why, in an emergency situation, you would want to have one side of your BC loaded - that just seems like one more thing to have to deal with to me..

Also, pull out weight pockets are fine until you lose one. God forbid your dog caries one of them out of the garage, or you dump one side and can't retrieve it. With the ripcord weight system, you simply re-thread it during your SI, grab a few more weights out of the bucket, and dive again right away!!!

Every dive boat I have seen has extra weight on it - but I have never seen a dive operation with extra pull out pockets for different models of BCs...

Just my clearly biased 2 cents...:wink:

Scott

I do like my BD BC, I use it for colder diving with thick mil suits. I also use
a Dacor jacket BC for warmer waters and it packs up smaller for dive trips.
I've heard complaints about the BD back inflation tipping a diver forward on
the surface, but I have never had a problem with floating on my back with
my BD.

NCDiver21:
Thanks for all of the reply guys. I have a friends ranger here at the house right now. I plan on getting in the pool with it soon and playing around. I like the weight system on the BD better because of the fact that if you have to ditch your weights you can ditch one side or the other and not all. Just in case u need to ascend faster but still have some control. I know in most cases when u need to ditch u need to ditch i just like that idea that u can do a partial ditch without dumping it all. I also like the fact that the BD has the hard plate for the tank to mount on. However until i read about this BC on this forum and went and looked at it today i have always wanted a Ranger. I still like the looks of the ranger better. I like some features of each. I really liked what i saw of the BD today, but i kinda feel like i have wanted a ranger for so long that if i went with something else that i would end up wishning that i had gotten the ranger instead.

Fact is, on the Zeagle it is pretty easy to remove all or some weight from either or both pockets without ditching with the ripcord. Also, the zeagle's rear (trim) weight pockets are ditchable so depending on how you distribute your weight you have all kinds of options for removing weight.
You said you do mostly warm water diving. Both the Ranger and BD have pretty heavy wings for warm water. With the Zeagle you can change wings pretty easily for the type of diving you do.

I have wanted a Ranger for about a year. When the time was right to buy a BC, Zeagle did not have a distributor in the Philippines so I went with a Black Diamond. I have about 200 dives on it and don't regret getting it instead of the Ranger.

That said I regret getting a "tec" BC. It is just too much. I am getting a new BC soon and I still have to research between the scout, stiletto and escape.

Then again I am in the tropics and use 8 lbs of weight.

I just bought a Zeagle BC. The Stiletto in fact. I did a considerable amount of investigating too. I now have 6 dives on it and once you put it on it just sorta dissapears.

The BD - I looked at it. Tried it on. No doubt it's a good BC. It just seemed like a jacket style BC trying to be a rear inflation or perhaps a rear inflation BC trying to be a jacket style. It had that "who am I" feel to it. (just my opinion-I know there's a lot of BD lovers out there)

The Ranger would have been my first choice. It just sorta looks like it would give up it's life for you. 9 out of 10 trips my wife and I fly to our diving location and so I went with the Stiletto because it's smaller than the Ranger.

The integrated weight system... I hope I never have to rip that cord because if I do I'm in deep do-do. But if I have to rip it... I look to 1 place for a handle and with 1 pull the weights are gone.

Anyway, not really an advertizement for Zeagle but I will say this; I think it's a high quality product, extremely flexible and their service is first class. I'm not biased either.

My advice, buy the one that calls your name as you walk by.

Once again i want to say thanks to everyone for all of the information. Like i say i borrowed a buddies ranger and plan on taking it into the shop so i can try both on at the same time tomorrow. (he does not keep zeagle in stock) That said i still do not feel like that is the reason he is pushing BD so hard, I think he just really likes it. He has no problem at all with getting me a Ranger in fact he does not have a BD medium in stock so either way what i get will be ordered. I think i really want the Ranger i just had some second thoughts after he spoke so highly of the BD. I am going to rent tanks tomorrow and tryout the Ranger in my pool at home. Hopefully that will confirm my gut feeling.

My instructor dove a Ranger, he highly recommended it. I looked long and hard at all the BC's out there, I went with the Brigade from www.scubatoys.com
It's the bladder from the Escape with 35# of lift (as opposed to 44# for the Ranger bladder) with the Ranger harness. The Stiletto is essentially the same combo, but better material on the bladder. Both should pack easily and not be that bulky due to the smaller bladders, if that's a concern. I absolutely love my BC and it oozes quality. You can see it, feel it and when you wear it you know it's a serious BC. I like having peace of mind when I dive, a lot of that has to do with the gear that I use (for me) and this lets me enjoy the dive not worrying about things. I will also say that the rear weight pockets are absolutely perfect when setting up your trim. For me, 4 lbs. on each side in the rear and I'm done. I have all the D-rings I need to hang my camera, etc. and I feel quite comfortable. Just my experience, take it for what it's worth. Mind you, I have not even tried on the BD.
Also, strong points for the Zeagles are (once again my opinion) that they are made in the good ol' U.S. of A. and have a great reputation for customer support. These things matter to me, so they weighed in on my decision. Good luck to you, be happy with your choice and dive safe.

I also dive the brigade and the biggest selling points for me was that I could change out the wing to a larger one. Everything is modular. If you need to change some thigns around to get the right fit it can be done. If I want to I can dive doubles with only adding an adapter or a plate. I do not know whow well that would work but it is nice to know I could give it a shot if I wanted to.

You can find my recent report on the Zeagle Ranger here. I will be testing the Black Diamond as soon as forget my BP/wing again.

When I am done I will compare the two to the BP/wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom