Black Diamond Vs Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCDiver21

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post here, although i have been reading for a week or so. I am in the middle of trying to decide between purchasing a Sea Quest Black Diamond or a Zeagle Ranger. I have read a lot about the Ranger up here. Pros cons. The cons i have read about it are the way the weight system works and the fact that it doesnt pack up to small. I am not really worried about packing. I am just getting back into diving, nothing hardcore, just some recreational warmwater diving.
My LDS carries both SeaQuest and Zeagle and my dive master had nothing but good things to say about the Black Diamond. He didnt talk badly about the Ranger either he just seemed to prefer the SeaQuest. He told me he has used both and u will not catch him out of a BlackDiamond. I like a lot of the BlackDiamonds features over the Ranger such as the weight system and the fact that it has a hard back for the tank to mount on. I would just appreciate any veiws tips or advice. Thanks

Get a BP/W!!! Sorry just always wanted to say that :rofl:

What's the problem with the Ranger's weight system??? As far as packing up, it's probably a wash with the Black Diamond.

I can't really compare the 2, because I've never seen or used a Seaquest Black Diamond, although I've heard good things about the pro QD+.

Some things to consider

Zeagle has a Lifetime Warranty
Great customer service
The Ranger has been around for some time, and I think is fairly well respected except within certain circles as with any gear.

I have a Ranger and love it, my advice to you would be to try both of them out before you make your decision. It's probably a personal preference at this point, and sounds like your minds pretty well made up.

Whichever BC you choose you will most likely be happy with whatever decision you make. Both BC's are solid and will serve you well. Also a good character trait of the DM at your shop. I like how he didn't bash the ranger, but just didn't say much about it.

Matt

NCDiver21:
Hi everyone this is my first post here, although i have been reading for a week or so. I am in the middle of trying to decide between purchasing a Sea Quest Black Diamond or a Zeagle Ranger. I have read a lot about the Ranger up here. Pros cons. The cons i have read about it are the way the weight system works and the fact that it doesnt pack up to small. I am not really worried about packing. I am just getting back into diving, nothing hardcore, just some recreational warmwater diving.
My LDS carries both SeaQuest and Zeagle and my dive master had nothing but good things to say about the Black Diamond. He didnt talk badly about the Ranger either he just seemed to prefer the SeaQuest. He told me he has used both and u will not catch him out of a BlackDiamond. I like a lot of the BlackDiamonds features over the Ranger such as the weight system and the fact that it has a hard back for the tank to mount on. I would just appreciate any veiws tips or advice. Thanks

howdy,

FWIW,

I dived exclusively with a Black Diamond for years. Loved it. What I didn't particularly like was that it doesn't pack small, so I went with a DiveRite. Still have the BD for cold water, but when I travel, I use the DiveRite with a 10# lift travel wing. Packs really small.
If you are going to be doing mostly warm water recreational diving, the amount of lift of both those rigs and the amount of tech goodies on them is probably overkill.

I haven't seen the Ranger in a few years, but if memory serves me correctly, the weight system was significantly more complicated than that of the BD which has slide in velcro weight pouches.

Final analysis: if you like it and it is comfortable and serves your purpose, go with it.

--divetahoe

I also dove the Black Diamond, since the time it was considered the "IT" tek gear. Now I dive DR BP/W, the latest "IT" gear. The BD was great, but the trim in the BP/W can't be beat.

Funny,

I *JUST* walked in the house from the dive shop, and the LDS Sales guy was raving on the Black Diamond, and had me compare it to the Ranger that was on the rack next to it. Both seem nice, both have a million things on them, but to be honest, after checking out the BP/W setup, neither of these have any appeal to me. Too much drag, too much "stuff", etc. I FAR prefer the simple plate and wing setup with a common weight belt. I had a "tec" Zeagle some years ago, and eventually sold it. Just too much stuff going on there.

Best of luck in your choice, but I am firmly in the "simpler is better" camp now.

i have a black diamond, have about 80 dives on it, and i have not one complaint about, but it's being retired, my first backplate and wings is almost ready to go..

but the BD is very comfortable, has loads of lift, pockets are usable, and i never had a problem with the weight system, even having 14lbs in each side it was rock solid

i'll sell you one at a good price if you like..:wink:

Thanks for all of the reply guys. I have a friends ranger here at the house right now. I plan on getting in the pool with it soon and playing around. I like the weight system on the BD better because of the fact that if you have to ditch your weights you can ditch one side or the other and not all. Just in case u need to ascend faster but still have some control. I know in most cases when u need to ditch u need to ditch i just like that idea that u can do a partial ditch without dumping it all. I also like the fact that the BD has the hard plate for the tank to mount on. However until i read about this BC on this forum and went and looked at it today i have always wanted a Ranger. I still like the looks of the ranger better. I like some features of each. I really liked what i saw of the BD today, but i kinda feel like i have wanted a ranger for so long that if i went with something else that i would end up wishning that i had gotten the ranger instead.

And I like the Ranger (LTD). I tried the Black Diamond but just didn't feel that comfortable in it. A couple of my divemasters really love the Black Diamond. What does this all mean? It's purely a matter of personal preference and how they fit and feel on you. Some people like the hard pack (as on the Black Diamond) and some prefer the soft pack (on the Ranger). My advice is to try them both on--if your LDS lets you, try them both in the pool--and see which one feels most comfortable to you.

Bottom line is, you won't go wrong with either one. They're both great BCs.

And btw as far as the DM not trash talking zeagle if my memory serves me correctly he use to dive a zeagle. He really did not try to talk me one way or the other. He told me he sold both and would be glad to get me either one. He just simply stated that i would never catch him in anything other than his BD. He is a good guy I dont think that he would steer me wrong. Its just a matter of me making up my mind i was just curious as to what others had to say. I guess u can never do too much research. Im a 21y/o college student so this is a big investment for me, i want to be sure i am going to be happy with my purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom