Bitterness of Scuba Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a mechanic for nigh on to thirty years, and I have to tell you that there are two main differences between mechanics and doctors.

First, we wash our hands BEFORE we use the bathroom.
Second, doctors only have to worry about one make and two models.
Finally, we don't bury our mistakes!

The best mechanics always get to start what they finish.

Haha maybe so NetDoc, but this reminds me of another difference, this one between the cardiothoracic surgeon and the master mechanic:

A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a Harley motorcycle when he spotted a well-known heart surgeon in his shop. The surgeon was there, waiting for the service manager to come and take a look at his bike.

The mechanic shouted across the garage, “Hey, Doc, can I ask you a question?” The surgeon a bit surprised, walked over to the mechanic working on the motorcycle.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, “So Doc, look at this engine. I open its heart, take valves out, fix ‘em, put ‘em back in, and when I finish, it works just like new. So how come I get such a small salary and you get the really big bucks, when you and I are doing basically the same work?”

The surgeon paused, smiled and leaned over, and whispered to the mechanic… “Try doing it with the engine running.”

(source: somewhere on the net
icon_wink.gif
)

This is Basic Scuba Discussions and I promised to behave here, so I won't ask the OP for one of his explicit personal examples supporting this claim (instead of innuendo) or post a well-deserved :stirpot:.

I was referring to a few of the instructors on this forum. Any regular member of the forum knows who they are.

But no names come to mind because
(1) the worst ones are on my ignore list by now
(2) I pretty much ignore the negative posts of the ones who aren't

And giving a concrete example would serve no purpose.

Some of the repliers to my OP seem to understand what I'm talking about.

Some of the repliers have the attitude, "What are you talking about?" I guess you don't think the negativity and the veiled insults are really negative? Or perhaps you see them as deservedly negative, but not bitter.

It also occurs to me that Scuba Board really ought to be a place where you can vent. One of the posters said he's a lot nicer in real life. I think that's fine. So some of the instructors here who seem hostile are probably not really hostile at all in real life.

It's really interesting the difference between who a person seems to be on the Internet, and who the person really is in real life. Invade Cozumel should be educational in this regard.

Good post, Pete ... but I'm gonna take exception to this comment ...

NetDoc:
A few, including Bob, see this as my problem and that's true to some extent.

Actually, I don't see this as your problem ... it's every member's problem ... if, in fact, you want to consider it a problem at all.

My correspondences with you are more by way of information sharing than ownership ... you're in a different position than I am to do something about it. I WANT people to feel welcome here ... and I can only do so much to make them feel that way. SB staff has much more control over that than I do, and so I try sharing my views with those I think might consider them. You're not the only one I share those PM's with. I sent another one to one of your senior advisors not too long ago, in the hope she'd share it with other staff members ... not because I think they own the problem, but because I felt it might be helpful with the discussions I know go on behind the curtain with respect to what to do about it.

I don't own any responsibility for someone else's behavior ... only mine. And I try being a positive influence ... particularly when addressing the questions and concerns of newer divers who are developing a context around which to view their scuba diving activities.

I think when we read bitterness or negativity into posts, sometimes it's there ... but most times it's really a matter of people taking something that was posted differently than the author intended. And sometimes it's as simple as not getting the response you wanted or expected.

There are those on ScubaBoard who chronically use attacktics to make their point (there's that punishment again) ... and my personal feeling is that those people tend to drive some folks off the board ... often resulting in us losing valuable contributors while the people we should be losing are allowed to continue posting in a way that puts others off. That's the issue I tried bringing up in our correspondence ... that the attacktics people needed to be put on a shorter leash because they're driving real contributors out of the house.

As a long-time member, I feel a certain sense of "ownership" for the well-being of this board. This is particularly true when it comes to responding to our newer members, particularly those recently-certified people who come here looking for answers they didn't get in their class. But we both know that you cannot confront those who resort by posting negatively, or who see everything not like what they do as somehow wrong or deficient ... or even those who chronically complain that scuba instruction is so much worse today than it was 40 years ago. You have to let those people be who they are, and attempt to respond to their posts in as constructive a manner as possible.

That said, I really don't see a lot of this coming from instructors. Some yes ... but certainly nothing that would warrant a blanket condemnation of instructors as a whole ... I think most of the instructors who post frequently here are a wealth of information that you simply won't find anywhere else, and should be appreciated rather than put down because of the occasional comment that maybe isn't as constructive as it should be. I don't see it as fair when we all get lumped together as though we're some sort of monolithic entity. There's a lot of instructors represented here. Most contribute in ways that sincerely attempt to be helpful ... particularly to the newer divers. The actions of a few should not be used as an example of them all ... nor should the majority be somehow held responsible for the occasional bad behavior of a handful. That's just not fair.

You know as well as I do that responding to negativity just feeds it ... whether it's publicly or in PM. And frankly, there's very little I'd say in a PM that I wouldn't say in public ... nor do I feel I should have to. If someone posts negativity, we all have two options ... respond to it, or ignore it. It's up to each of us to decide which is appropriate based on the circumstances. I will not sit by and allow a more experienced diver ... instructor or otherwise ... to put down someone simply because they are less experienced. That's gotten me in trouble a few times, as you well know ... but I'm not the sort who has patience for that sort of thing.

While none of us has any ownership over what someone else posts ... we do own how we choose to respond to it. And, to my concern, that's true whether you're an instructor, a staff member, a long-term member, a poster with a reputation for trollery, or someone who just joined the board yesterday. Take ownership for your posts, post responsibly, and if you can't respond constructively to a sincerely asked question then don't respond at all ... because otherwise all you're doing is inhibiting someone else's desire or ability to get what they came here for ... and that doesn't serve any of us well.

I'm still not sure what Matt's seeing that caused him to post what he did. That doesn't mean I don't respect his right to ask, or believe that he's sincere in asking ... it means I don't see it, nor do I agree with the premise that it's a particular problem here.

Most of the negativity I see on ScubaBoard comes from a handful of chronic troublemakers ... who for some reason are allowed to continue their posting privileges here. And occasionally, someone from staff does something that I perceive as abusive to one or more members of the board ... and frankly Pete, sometimes you can come across as pretty abusive or insensitive yourself.

Welcome to humanity ... nobody's perfect. Maybe what we all need to do is take a deep breath and give each other a little margin for being human ... with all the range of emotions and imperfections that implies ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is surprising to me. I would think that any human being who is in a class to learn to scuba dive is motivated to learn to do it the right way. After all, we are instinctively afraid of drowning. You'd think that the average scuba student would be fully motivated to pay attention and learn to be a good diver.

That was not the case with me. I thought you just strapped some tanks on and off you went. I wanted to try diving ever since I was little (grew up by the ocean my whole life), and finally when on a tropical vacation and they offered it at the hotel, I thought, "HELL YEAH!! SIGN ME UP!!"... then they asked to see a certification card and I got upset. Then they told me about the "discover scuba" thing, so I did that instead.

After learning how the gear worked and using it in the pool, I realized this was no ordinary adventurous outing and rather a fairly serious (attention-to-detail, gear-intensive, planning, and execution oriented) activity. I had a ton of questions and I could tell the DM was trying to answer them without getting into detail (realizing afterwards that a full course is necessary to answer them)... but wanting to know the details had my curiosity peaked. Then I went for my dive in the ocean and was just completely blown away by what I was seeing (reefs, animals, and war plane wreckage!). I instantly knew everything about diving was right up my alley and I had to get certified.

I always suspected my way of getting into diving is how a lot of people get into diving. - As in, "oh, scuba diving might be a fun activity for the day, let's try it out", and that's when they learn that there is a whole lot more to it than just gearing up and jumping in. ... and I guess that's when we all hope that they realize it, too.

...After all, he's clearly implicated every instructor on ScubaBoard and that's not a bad thing....

Thank-you for your kind and thoughtful reply, but I did not implicate every instructor on Scuba Board. Just the bitter ones.

I feel a little bit guilty reading the numerous replies, because I seem to have caused some defensiveness on the part of people whom my post did not target. Some of the nicer posters seem to feel responsible for the bitterness of the others. I don't think that's necessary at all. We all read the same hostile and denigrating posts, and can see who posts them. Nobody is going to confuse a nice person with a mean one.

My post arose from the newby bashing that goes on on this forum, not from any particular post or comment. I asked myself, what is it that's behind this? I suspect it's a bitterness about something. One person said it's a bitterness about poor training. Well, that makes sense. But when you're talking to someone who's been poorly trained, why make that person feel ashamed or inferior or inadequate? What good does that do?

And if I'm a pot stirrer, so be it. This pot needed stirring.

There seems to be hostility toward incompetence, a sort of arrogance, among many of the posters here. Most of the instructors on this forum are as nice as could be, but many seem to have a certain resentment or hostility, for some reason.

Any idea where this comes from?
I believe these hostile instructors are having a tough time dealing with the " New Reality "; on-line classes, dive computers in entry level training, downloading students dives & any new teaching ideas.
I wonder if it has to do with their clientele making more money than they do. I understand that scuba instruction is not very well compensated, whereas the expenses associated with scuba diving make it a sport more likely to be practiced by those with comfortable incomes.
What is more frustrating is when these students don't commit to the sport, they just want to check SCUBA off their bucket list.

This is surprising to me. I would think that any human being who is in a class to learn to scuba dive is motivated to learn to do it the right way. After all, we are instinctively afraid of drowning. You'd think that the average scuba student would be fully motivated to pay attention and learn to be a good diver.

Matt ... students run a pretty wide gamut. Some are motivated to learn. Some just want to get a c-card with as little effort as possible. Some are afraid of drowning. Some aren't, but should be. Some make an instructor feel a sense of pride. Some make an instructor feel a sense of dread. Some are there because they want to be. Some are there because someone else wanted them to be.

Instructors as well run a pretty wide gamut. Some are good at teaching. Some are good at going through the motions of teaching. Some put as much effort into their class as they possibly can. Some put as much effort into their class as their agency standard says they have to. Some know how to treat students as individuals, appeal to different learning styles, and challenge students to think beyond the curriculum. Some treat everyone the same, and teach everything the same. Some add material to help enhance the learning experience. Some teach by checklist.

Each class is different. Each student is unique. Each instructor has their own style.

There is no "average" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

None of those complaints makes me grouchy, but there are others which do. Such as:
  • Doctor, the medicine you gave me didn't work. (Said in an accusatory tone.)
  • Here's my problem. Nothing works for this problem. (So what am I supposed to do?)
  • I'm depressed. Would you sign these disability papers?

It's one of my personal goals to always make people feel uplifted after they've dealt with me. When I first started practicing medicine I was not as good at this as I am now. Have you ever noticed that old doctors are generally nicer than young ones? It takes a lifetime, I think, to develop equanimity and learn to be nice to everybody.

I'd say I'm about 75% there. :)

And I get to take people that want to go diving diving. Making them feel uplifted is not just a goal, it's a benefit of the job. I'm about 95% there too. :D

My post arose from the newby bashing that goes on on this forum, not from any particular post or comment. I asked myself, what is it that's behind this? I suspect it's a bitterness about something. One person said it's a bitterness about poor training. Well, that makes sense. But when you're talking to someone who's been poorly trained, why make that person feel ashamed or inferior or inadequate? What good does that do?
While there is some of what you describe going on certainly, because you are new to the forum you don't know how very, very much better it is than it was only a couple of years ago. In recent weeks you have asked a lot of questions and, I think, gotten pretty reasonable replies. If this were two years ago, a number of posters would have jumped all over you, screaming that you should know that from your OW instruction, and the fact that you are asking such questions indicates that you are not fit to dive, your instructor should be executed, and the agency with which you were certified is intentionally trying to kill as many new divers as possible and should be prosecuted as a criminal organization.

Since then much has changed. The area was designated a green zone where such comments are not allowed, where a relatively new diver can ask a question without fear of such an assault. The most outrageous of these posters have either been counseled into a different approach or have stopped participating for the most part. Many of those last mentioned results came from careful behind the scenes efforts by moderators. Yes, there is still some of it going on today, but it is very mild compared to the past.

Moderators are just Scuba Board users with extra duties, and they don't read every thread there is. They can easily miss offending posts. When such offenses occur, readers should click on the report button to draw it to their attention.

By the way, some people just seem to have a style that is condescending in nature, and that tone is not limited to newer divers. I was actually relieved to see a recent report about one such person because I had lately gotten the feeling that he was just being rude and condescending with me. It was actually good to know, from my point of view, that it is just his nature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom