Biting through my mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hard to guess which of the theories is right, but if you have problems biting through mouthpieces I agree a Seacure is worth a try. I don't like them but my husband does and they are pretty tough. If you are renting especially for days or a week, swapping in your own mouthpiece that you like is probably worthwhile.

(I'm another one that finds the comfobites uncomfortable, they irritate the roof of my mouth. I like the Atomic Dual-Silicone Comfort-Fit. You just have to experiment.)

Totally agree, "experiment" is the operative word. Save SeaCure esque, mouthpieces are not too expensive, buy a few and try them, it's really the only way to know, recommendations are based on personal preference and we all have different mouths, bites etc.

While relaxing at home, throw a reg. in your mouth. You can work on finding the perfect amount of pressure to ensure you don't loose it.
As long as you don't put a mask on, you can breathe through your nose!
Definitely try to find which one is best for you, but if you're always renting, I think getting very comfortable with performing tasks around the house with a reg. in may stop all the chewing and unnecessary tension.
I like the Apeks I have, and retain it with no effort. Often some gas will vent at my lips as I am barely trying to hold it.
If you don't own a reg. yet, I would bet a member of the board would send you one for next to nothing.

Finding the right mouthpiece is going to be a very personal decision for a lot of people.

My first regs (Aqua Lung Glacia) came with the AquaLung Comfobite mouthpiece, and I HATED it. It seemed to rub my upper palate behind my front teeth until it was almost raw after diving. I went through a few, and eventually found that I strongly preferred mouthpieces with longer bite tabs. I have been using a Seacure mouthpiece for some time now, and LOVE it. My daughter has my same preference, although I had to shorten the bite a bit on hers.

Others love the mouthpieces that I hated. Everybody is different.

The only ones that I have ever seen bitten through, however, were from rental fleets, either from before I had my own gear, or where I did not bring my gear on vacation with me. All were pretty much dilapidated before that were ever handed to me, and were handed back as soon as I saw their condition as I asked for something with an intact mouthpiece.

I love the super soft long bite mouthpieces. I've tried seacure, and a variety of others (seacure was the most expensive by far) and I always came back to the soft long bite ones. They're more or less "generic" - most shops have them but the packaging varies. The more dives I do the less often I find the mouthpieces damaged, I think I now have one that's a couple years old. Still I keep spares in my SAD bag.

Like https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-Silicone-Mouthpiece-Regulator/dp/B00B1H9AZM/ or Amazon.com : Storm Long Bite Scuba Regulator Silicone Mouthpiece - Black by Storm Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

I love the super soft long bite mouthpieces. I've tried seacure, and a variety of others (seacure was the most expensive by far) and I always came back to the soft long bite ones. They're more or less "generic" - most shops have them but the packaging varies. The more dives I do the less often I find the mouthpieces damaged, I think I now have one that's a couple years old. Still I keep spares in my SAD bag.

Like https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-Silicone-Mouthpiece-Regulator/dp/B00B1H9AZM/ or Amazon.com : Storm Long Bite Scuba Regulator Silicone Mouthpiece - Black by Storm Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Look to be the same as those sold by DGX only the DGX ones are around $3 IIRC. I too like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom