Birthday boat dive - July 24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For my 30th I decided to charter the Silver Prince and invite my friends to go diving. After struggling with who to invite (since there are a limited number of spots) and dealing with those who had prior commitments and couldn't make it (opening up room for others) I was able to get a good group of divers who knew how to have a good time.

We get to K dock and start setting up gear. The Silver Prince arrives with ballons, Happy Birthday banner, and party hats on. We load up and Captain Mike gives his briefing and then Todd the deckhand gives his briefing making sure to let everyone in ear shot know it was my birthday (technically Friday was but that would have been quibbling). Lots of fun teasing ensued.

The weather was on our side and we went down to Carmel. The first dive was on outer pinnacles and three of did a scooter dive. Was really cool coming up on one team on one side and then scootering around and finding the other team on the other side. After about 15 minutes I knew I was off the pinnacle we anchored to so I start doing circles trying to keep familiar terrain. After another 25 minutes of that I asked the team if they knew where the boat is and they didn't know either. So just kept doing more circles around the terrain (we all had doubles on so wasn't too worried and figured circling would at least keep us less lost). We cam up and we weren't that far away from the boat (far enough that kicking would have sucked though). So we just surfaced scoot back to the boat.

During the SI Todd brought out a cake with candles. We really enjoyed that cake. Captain Mike then took us over to Local's Ledge where he claims Todd said we were at 14'. After a bit more SI we jump in.

The second dive we decided to do without the scooter. Of course this ended up being the dive with current :D We descend down the anchor line and quickly pass 14', 24', 34', 44', 54' (alright where is the dang bottom), 64' (oh we see something), and finally stop in the 70' range. Since our first dive was a little longer than we expected and we wanted to spend a bit more time on the ascent we had to keep this one kinda short. A very pretty place and one I would love to visit again.

After the dives several of us nodded off on the ride back. Unloaded the gear (including the left over cake), changed, and then headed to the London Bridge Pub where we claimed the couches as our own. We spent some time enjoying food and drink, talking, sharing stories, etc. After the food and drink was gone it was time to head home. I was so glad I didn't have to drive back.

Thanks to (in no order): Wayne [brother], Ron, Jim, Robin, Mike S, Brian, and the Silver Prince for making my 30th a great experience.

No pictures from me this trip. Took the camera but didn't pull it out on the first dive and only took a couple on the second dive before I knew I didn't have the time

Back
Top Bottom