Bird Flu too close to home.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is some info:

Avian Influenza -- Frequently Asked Questions

The following article, courtesy of the State of Hawai`i Department of Health, answers many of the most frequently asked questions regarding Avian influenza, commonly known as bird flu. This information is intended to help residents familiarize themselves with this particular strain of flu, which has not been detected in Hawai`i or the United States mainland as of this writing.

What is avian influenza (bird flu)?

Bird flu is an infection caused by avian (bird) influenza (flu) viruses. These flu viruses occur naturally among birds. Wild birds worldwide carry the viruses in their intestines, but usually do not get sick from them. However, bird flu is very contagious among birds and can make some domesticated birds, including chickens, ducks, and turkeys, very sick and kill them.

Do bird flu viruses infect humans?

Bird flu viruses do not usually infect humans, but several cases of human infection with bird flu viruses have occurred since 1997.

Almost all human cases have been traced to close contact with infected poultry. The process of raising chickens and preparing chickens in Asia -- home slaughter, plucking feathers, preparing it for the table -- introduces a number of ways in which a person can become infected. There have been very limited examples of human-to-human transmission. Extended, prolonged contact with poultry and their secretions is the most likely route of infection.

Contact with bird feces is another way people could become infected. Eating raw, contaminated poultry blood has been suggested as one of the ways people have become infected in Vietnam. Thoroughly boiling or cooking poultry will destroy the virus.

What are the symptoms of bird flu in humans?

Symptoms of bird flu in humans have ranged from typical flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, and muscle aches) to eye infections, pneumonia, severe respiratory compromise (such as acute respiratory distress), and other severe and life-threatening complications.

The symptoms of bird flu may depend on which virus caused the infection.

How does bird flu spread?

Infected birds shed flu virus in their saliva, nasal secretions, and feces. Susceptible birds become infected when they have contact with contaminated excretions or surfaces that are contaminated with excretions. It is believed that most cases of bird flu infection in humans have resulted from contact with infected poultry or contaminated surfaces.

The spread of bird flu viruses from one ill person to another has been reported very rarely among those with prolonged contact with the ill person, and transmission has not been observed to continue beyond one person.

How is bird flu in humans treated?

Studies done in laboratories suggest that the prescription medicines approved for human flu viruses should work in preventing bird flu infection in humans. However, flu viruses can become resistant to these drugs, so these medications may not always work.

Additional studies are needed to prove the effectiveness of these medicines.

What is the risk to humans from bird flu?

The risk from bird flu is generally low to most people because the viruses occur mainly among birds and do not usually infect humans. However, during an outbreak of bird flu among poultry (domesticated chicken, ducks, turkeys), there is a possible risk to people who have contact with infected birds or surfaces that have been contaminated with excretions from infected birds.

The current outbreak of avian influenza A (H5N1) among poultry in Asia and Europe is an example of a bird flu outbreak that has caused human infections and deaths.

In such situations, people should avoid contact with infected birds or contaminated surfaces, and should be careful when handling and cooking poultry.

For more information about avian influenza and food safety issues, please visit the World Health Organization website at: http://www.who.int/foodsafety/micro/avian/en/

In rare instances, limited human-to-human spread of H5N1 virus has occurred, and transmission has not been observed to continue beyond one person.

What is an avian influenza A (H5N1) virus?

Influenza A (H5N1) virus, also called "H5N1 virus," is an influenza A virus subtype that occurs mainly in birds.

It was first isolated from birds (terns) in South Africa in 1961. Like all bird flu viruses, H5N1 virus circulates among birds worldwide and is very contagious among birds.

The distinguishing feature of this H5N1 virus from other bird flu viruses is its common tendency to cause severe and even fatal disease among several species of birds.

What is the H5N1 bird flu that has been reported in Asia and Europe?

Outbreaks of influenza H5N1 occurred among poultry in eight countries in Asia (Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, South Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam) during late 2003 and early 2004. At that time, more than 100 million birds in the affected countries either died from the disease or were killed to try to control the outbreak.

By March 2004, the outbreak was reported to be under control. Beginning in late June 2004, however, new outbreaks of influenza H5N1 among poultry were reported by several countries in Asia (Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Mongolia, Russia, Thailand, and Vietnam).

It is believed that these outbreaks are ongoing. Most recently, influenza H5N1 has been reported among poultry in Turkey and Romania. Human infections of influenza A (H5N1) have been reported in Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, and Vietnam.

What is the risk to humans from the H5N1 virus in Hawaii?

At this time, H5N1 virus has not been identified outside of the overseas areas reported above. Risk is highest for those who travel to the affected areas and experience significant exposure to infected poultry and their secretions.

How is infection with H5N1 virus in humans treated?

The H5N1 virus currently infecting birds in Asia that has caused human illness and death is resistant to amantadine and rimantadine, two antiviral medications commonly used for influenza. Two other antiviral medications, oseltamivir and zanamivir, have shown activity against the H5N1 virus in laboratory testing, but additional studies still need to be done to prove their effectiveness.

Is there a vaccine to protect humans from H5N1 virus?

There currently is no commercially-available vaccine to protect humans against the H5N1 virus. However, efforts to develop vaccine are underway in research laboratories.

Research studies to test a vaccine to protect humans against H5N1 virus began in April 2005. For more information about the H5N1 vaccine development process, visit the National Institutes of Health website at http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/news/newsreleases/2005/avianfluvax.htm.

What does Hawaii State Department of Health recommend regarding the H5N1 bird flu outbreak?

Travelers to affected countries should consult the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Travel Health website at: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/avian_influenza_se_asia_2005.htm for specific travel recommendations.

Airline flight crews and airport personnel who may be meeting passengers arriving from affected countries may consult: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/avian_flu_ig_airlines_021804.htm for recommendations specific to their roles.

Is the potential danger of bird flu being exaggerated?
No. The issue is important and has been of concern for all public health officials, scientists and physicians since at least 1997 with the first H5N1 outbreak.

Highly pathogenic, H5N1 is a clear danger to poultry, and its threat to wild birds is real. Although the number of human cases has been small so far, the potential for the virus to change into a more serious threat to humans is also real.

Therefore, public awareness about avian influenza is important.

How big a threat is this to healthy adults?

The sick and the elderly are the usual vulnerable targets for the annual flu, because they are less able to fight an infection.

According to the World Health Organization data, currently healthy young adults and children are being infected by H5N1. There are not enough cases to completely understand H5N1 infection in humans.

However, the current circulating H5N1 virus has not changed to a form that easily passed among humans. The risk is greatest for people in the affected areas who have significant, prolonged exposure to infected poultry.

What is pandemic flu (influenza)?

When a flu quickly spreads around the world it is known as a pandemic flu. Pandemic flu occurs when a new, highly infectious and dangerous strain of the virus appears. Unlike the common flu outbreaks every winter, flu pandemics can be expected to occur every few decades.

We know from study of previous pandemics that a pandemic tends to unfold in waves, i.e., periods of exponentially increasing disease separated by periods of declining disease activity. Subsequent waves tend to be more severe than the previous waves of a pandemic.

continued

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Are they migratory, though? In the sense that Canadian Geese follow the same migratory path every year?

My understanding was that the native birds in Hawaii were stray species blown off course and sort of one-in-a-million chance survivors that arrived at the islands slowly over long periods of time, and then, once there, they evolved along their own paths. That's why so many of Hawaii's native birds are so helpless against predators that are common elsewhere.

So, are there actual migratory birds in Hawaii that arrive there every year from somewhere else? I'm curious.

The Pacific Golden plover is a frequent flyer from Alaska, enough to have acquired a Hawaiian name: Kolea. Or Wildcard :D

How is a pandemic different from the annual flu season?

There are small changes in the flu virus that occur continually over time. However, the virus can change dramatically and unexpectedly through a process known as "shift."

Shift results in the appearance of a new influenza virus to which few, if any, people would have immunity.

If this new virus spreads easily from person-to-person, it could quickly travel around the world and cause increased levels of serious illness and death, affecting millions of people. This is called an influenza pandemic. Fortunately, pandemics don't occur very often.

There has not been an influenza pandemic since 1968.

Is there a vaccine for the pandemic flu?

The threat of an unknown virus is the most challenging problem. Officials cannot develop a vaccine if they do not know which virus is circulating. Once a pandemic flu virus is identified, a vaccine specific to that virus can be developed. Because of the current methods used to produce a flu vaccine, it can take at least 6 months to develop a new vaccine and then a longer period to distribute it.

Will vaccination, if available, be helpful during a pandemic?

The best method of preventing the spread of the flu is the timely development, distribution, and administration of influenza vaccine. Even with delayed availability, vaccination has the potential to have a significant impact on subsequent waves (spreading) of a pandemic.

How can I best protect myself during a pandemic?

Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
Stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others in your community from catching your illness.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing and dispose of the tissue and wash your hands immediately so you don’t spread your germs to others.
Washing your hands after handling potentially contaminated materials and before eating or touching your face will help protect you from germs.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
What is the Department of Health doing to prevent a pandemic flu outbreak in Hawai`i?

The Hawai`i State Department of Health is working to ensure continued annual flu surveillance in Hawaii via the Sentinel Physician Network (which is also part of the national network coordinated through the CDC). DOH also continues to encourage more physicians to participate to expand the surveillance network.

The Hawai`i State Department of Health is also:

Enhancing surveillance for flu, especially in travelers. DOH will begin surveillance for flu-like illness in travelers, including testing for flu. If history is consistent with possible exposure to avian flu, testing will also be performed to try to specifically identify H5N1.
Finalizing Hawaii’s Pandemic Flu Preparedness Plan to outline the Department of Health (DOH) response (coordination of operations with partners, enhanced surveillance, vaccine delivery if available, antiviral delivery as available, quarantine and isolation if necessary and/or useful, healthcare delivery, and communications).
Coordinating Strategic National Stockpile plans for potential distribution of antivirals, and considering alternative options to obtain antivirals for Hawaii’s people.
Distributing educational materials to physicians and other health-care providers.
Maintaining communications with state and County agencies, healthcare providers, first responders, and various other partners.
Providing useful information to the public and building public awareness.
Conducting and participating in exercises and drills with County, state, federal and private agencies to improve coordination between response agencies.
For more information about Avian Influenza, go to www.hawaii.gov/doh and click on Avian Flu Information. For information on Hawaii Island, click on Contact Us.

bluemagoo:
The Pacific Golden plover is a frequent flyer from Alaska, enough to have acquired a Hawaiian name: Kolea. Or Wildcard :D
ROTFLMAO! Thanks for the info all, ESP Lisa. Aside from the bird to human problem, think of what will happen if there is a large scale chicken kill off? 6 Million in China last week alone, just to be safe. So for a run down, we now have mad cows,mercury in fish and sick chickens. Im investing in pork!

Maybe we should try to have the U.S. establish.....FLU Land Security.

Pork's off -- swine flu :)

Oh man! PLEASE don't make me eat tofu!

Wildcard:
Oh man! PLEASE don't make me eat tofu!
:yuck:

I'm thankful my freezer is full of deer, moose, elk, caribou and wild caught fish.... Though I'll eat the occasional burger or restaurant steak, try to mostly avoid the hormone enhanced animals that need to be fed antibiotics so they don't get sick from living in each other's poo :11:

Every few years if I don't hunt or fish enough, I'll buy a local range raised bovine. At least I know the guy I get it from doesn't do the feedlot thing, so doesn't need the prophylactic antibiotics. He also doesn't bother with the growth hormone suplements.

Iffin your freezer is a little too full, Id be happy to make some room for you!....Somehow I always manage to be working during hunting season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom