Bio-Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys you are missing the point. Try soaking the sponge in a little coca-cola or vodka/wisky. Then see what happy diving means. Ha...ha...ha...ha. :wink:

Tim Wong:
Guys you are missing the point. Try soaking the sponge in a little coca-cola or vodka/wisky. Then see what happy diving means. Ha...ha...ha...ha. :wink:

And to think I've been enjoying the Apollo Biofilter without Tim's thrilling inovations!

I've been very happy with the Biofilter since I started using it about 4 months ago (about 50 dives with it). The best benefit is on boat days of 3 or 4 long dives (60 to 70 minutes). I notice it's easier to equalize my ears during the last dives, and it has eliminated the occassional headaches I used to get after a great day of boat diving. I drink LOTS of water and some gatorade all day long, but I could still feel the dehydration setting in. I also think I stay a little warmer, but this was a lovely warm summer. (I'm a surgical nurse, and we would never consider giving surgical patients oxygen with out attaching a humidifying device. Dry, cold breathing gasses have been shown to cause dehydration and loss of body heat in patients.)
The biofilter doesn't make that much of a difference if I'm doing only one dive, but I do notice the dryness in my throat if I don't wet the sponge. It's easy to do before each dive, and if I forget, no big deal. I sure remember for the next dive!!
Extra bonus: Charcoal filter to catch any debris from the tank that might get through the 1st stage. My HP pressed steel tanks have shown a light coating of rust colored debris at each VIP, probably from all the fills on the commercial boats.
I bought the biofilter online for $169 + shipping, and really appreciate the benefits I've experienced.
All my dives have been less than 120 fsw, water temp 48 to 73 degrees F.
I carry the appropriate wrenches so that I could easily remove the Biofilter on the deck or beach and keep on diving if it failed. If it were to malfunction on a dive, I'd grab my spare 2nd and stay real close to my buddy as we ascended. So far, I've had no problems at all.

rgonzales2002:
Has any one used the bio-filter and how would you rate it ...
more info found here http://www.apollosportsusa.com/products-regcomp.html#Biofilter

You could purchase a Sherwood Oasis or Maximus as your next regulator if dry mouth is a problem. The bio-filter sounds expensive and labor intensive, I would only buy one if I could add beer to it or if I was a dive shop owner (because of cost). I have a Scubapro G250 and Poseidon Odin which breathes easier at depth than my Sherwood Maximus; I use the sherwood most of the time because of moisture retention...go figure.

I just bought one, and love it. I usually equalize my ears by swallowing (it works better for me than the other techniques, I don't know why), and if my mouth and throat are dry then it becomes uncomfortable during a long dive. Drinking extra water doesn't make a difference for me the same way the bio-filter does.

Dry mouth is caused by being dehydrated. The average person does not drink enough water in thier day. If you are clear and copious (meaning when you urinate it's clear color and the volume is sufficient) you should not need to add a "moisturizer" to your regulator.

Dry compressed air in a scuba cylinder will dehydrate you to the effect of approx one pint of liquid. While the "filter" may supplement that minor dry feeling in your mouth it clearly is not sufficient enough to challenge or correct the true effects of dehydration.

Drink water........... stay wet.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom