Bio-Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Massive faluire point
Looks like a tank handle :11:
Expensive replacment filters :06:

Do a search, its there somewhere :wink:

rgonzales2002:
Has any one used the bio-filter and how would you rate it ...
more info found here http://www.apollosportsusa.com/products-regcomp.html#Biofilter

Why don't they just call it a humidifier? Bio filters are fluidized beds of rock or sand traditionally used to purify water by bacterial action (not something you would want in your reg) removing NH3 waste created by fish or shrimp, in the form of NO3.

It's not a filter, it's a gimick. I don't know about anybody else, but I don't get cotton mouth under water, and that's about the only thing this could possibly help with.

I to get cottonmouth when diving until this year. Simple solution that I was introduced to in Honduras, eat a piece of fresh pineapple before the dive and no cottonmouth. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

A friend of mine's got a BioFilter, and absolutely swears by the thing. I tried out hers to see if it was worthwhile... I did notice a slight decrease in cottonmouth, but frankly I wasn't dazzled by it, and remembering to soak the filter before use is a pain. See if you can find a shop or a buddy that will let you test one out before you invest - you'll either love it or find it an entire waste of time.

Looks like a real bum deal. I find a cottonmouth is quite easy to take care of using a shotgun. Oh wait, this is the scuba board. :)

Uh, well then, in that case: Looks like a real bum deal. I experience no dry-mouth, and I don't particularly want to have to remember to take apart my regulator connection, soak it in the water I forgot to bring, then hope the thing doesn't fail.

There are things a lot higher on my want list than this.

I have used one for a long time... and most anyone who has borrowed my gear for a dive - has purchased one right away... Because they really do make a pretty big difference.

The air coming out of a tank is .1% humidity. With each breath, your lungs have to moisturize that to 100%. Even if you find some way to stop your mouth from being dry by some method... you are still not fixing the problem of breathing dry air - just eliminating one symptom - dry mouth.

The #1 contributing factor to DCS is dehydration, and the #1 reason for diver dehydration is breathing extremely dry air.

The Bio Filter will increase humidity to about 50%, tapering off to about 30% near the end of the dive if a very long dive.

The new ones can be refilled without opening them up - a special one way valve and water bottle lets you just re-wet the sponge withoug even removing it. Yes you do have to remember to re-wet it... but forget once - and you'll make sure you remember from that point on - breathing the moist air will spoil you! And it's easy and fast - so yes you must remember all those little things like wet sponge, turn on air, etc. Not much of a problem for me... and I don't even use a written checklist!

Actually Joe, (from the ask Joe & Larry) got heart burn so bad during every dive - he was going to give up teaching for the shop a few years ago. Then one day, he borrowed my reg, since he was rebuilding his, and the heartburn went away. Turned out the dry throat was letting acid effect him - but humidifying the air - the symptoms vanished.

So I'd tell you - they're great... Won't dive without it. We've sold hundreds of them.. and have not had one single problem ever with them other than someone who stored it with the sponge in and crancked together very tight and it was a pain to open it up several years later.... but we did get it apart - cleaned up - dropped in a new sponge and away they went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom