Biloxi 27-28 Jan 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleHall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Folks.. I'm going to be TDY to Keesler AFB for a couple weeks later this month. The weekend of 27-28 Jan, I'll be stuck there and was considering trying to get some diving in over that weekend. I emailed a PADI shop in D'Iberville, but haven't heard back from them. I was hoping to, maybe, get my Wreck Specialty completed, but if nothing else, I'd like to get wet. Anyone here familiar with the area and what it may have to offer for diving? Also, what's the water temp in the Gulf this time of year?
Thanks in advance!

There were some charters running out of the Pascagoula, Biloxi, Gulfport area but I'm not sure if any of them have started back up after the hurricanes. You may have better luck through AL charters, or maybe some of the charters in Pensacola.

In Alabama you have Gary's Gulf Diver, Down Under Dive Shop, and Underwater Works. In Pensacola try Dive Pros or MBT Divers. There are some shore diving options in both AL/FL as well as some springs not too much farther away into the FL panhandle.

Mat is correct. IF there are any charters running out of the area, they are going to be out, like far out diving the oil rigs. The viz in the Pascagola area does not clear up until you are East of Mobile Bay, some days waaay east. I was in Hattiesburg MS for a year (before and after Katrina) and chose to drive to Gulf Shores and Destin to dive. Silt from the Mississippi river keeps things really muddy unless you go far out.

The shop in D'Iberville may not be in full operation either. Did you try their phone number?

Howard

Thanks.. I haven't tried to call them yet.. I sent the email Thursday evening and was waiting until an actual Duty Day to call them.. (Monday)
The Panhandle is always an option, I'm just trying to keep the driving down to a minimum if at all possible.. But, then again, if it's worth the dive, it's worth the drive. :)
Going to look up some of those AL shops now..

LOL.. I just did a mapquest inquiry.. Pensacola, although being in Florida, is actually closer (time traveled) than Gulf Shores to Biloxi.. (Interstate the whole way) I didn't realize those places were only a couple hours away.. Thanks for the ideas.. We'll see what I can come up with..

Go to Pensacola and rent a boat on base. Drive to the bay side of Ft Pickens and do a dive there. Mat can give you the depths since he dove there several years ago. Happy diving.
Howard

If you goto Ft Pickens on a rented boat, shoot me a line. I'll do more than give you depths, I'll show you around. :) I miss the place and its a bit harder to access now that its cut off from land access.

Club Caribbean in D'Iberville has a long road to recovery from Katrina. They're a rather small shop anyway. The most quickest and reliable way to get in the water from Keesler is Scuba Shack in Pensacola. About a two-hour drive. The problem you're going to face in January is finding a calm weekend. The water temperature will be in the low sixties. You may have to fall back on the panhandle springs about three hours away from Keesler

Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is also accessible but Pensacola is quickest in your situation. The Seville Inn in Pensacola about two blocks from the dive shop is far cheaper than anything you will find in Orange Beach too.

Talk to Gene or Eileen at Scuba Shack if you want a specialty class. They are primarily SSI.

SuPrBuGmAn:
If you goto Ft Pickens on a rented boat, shoot me a line. I'll do more than give you depths, I'll show you around. :) I miss the place and its a bit harder to access now that its cut off from land access.
Bug,
We can do a Pickens trip on the Cat-N-Around any time the tide is right and we can get 6 divers (cheep).

Back
Top Bottom