Billabong wetsuit? (and other gear for a newbie/petite girl)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depending on your shape the youth wetsuits may or may not work. If you are straight up and down, don't have much of a chest, waist, hips or even shoulders, there is a better chance of the youth sizes fitting. Definitely try as many suits on as possible. I'm 5'2"/90lbs. The best solution for me, after trying on suit after suit after suit after suit, was to get a suit that was on sale (there are some good deals out there) which was slightly large in some areas and have it taken in/shortened. Cheaper than custom and if you get a good deal on a suit, it can make up for the cost of alterations. You may even come out ahead if you can find a closeout/overstock suit for around $100. And since you are going to have it taken in, you don't have to worry so much about the fit.

tofucute, you're almost exactly the same size as me...might I ask what brand and size and thickness of suit you ended up getting? I'm not straight up and down, so that's why I'm really not sure if the youth ones WILL fit properly, especially if not extra stretchy...

And what type of BC do you use?

I would recommend that you try on one of the Bare Elastek suits. The stretch is absolutely fab, and I noticed on their sizechart that they may have a womenssize that would fit you.
I have the same suit, and have been very satisfied.

Dive - Support - Dealer - Size Charts

A lot of good advice about wetsuits and BCDs here. One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is buying a computer. It was one of the first things we bought because I didn't want to have to learn a new model every trip. You can get a reasonable one on a budget and it will give you more time underwater.

Also think about buying the safety gear you will need. Whistle, knife or shears, and SMB. Shops normally don't rent this stuff and it's a really good idea to carry it if you're diving in the ocean.

We bought our regs last, as long as you thoroughly inspect the rental sets they shouldn't give you any problems. If you buy them don't forget you will need to service them as well. This can get expensive.

If I had my time again I'd buy mask and fins, computer and safety gear, wetsuit, BCD then regs. In that order.

Last edited:
If I had my time again I'd buy mask and fins, computer and safety gear, wetsuit, BCD then regs. In that order.

I think a big thing about what order the OP should purchase gear is going to depend seriously on her budget and what she is comfortable/able to continue renting. The things that only work well when they fit properly should probably be closer to the top of her list if she's going to have difficulty finding rentals in her size. I don't disagree that safety gear should be a priority, but I'm getting mine last a knife is going to be my next purchase before my next dive in open water, after getting my own bc, computer and reg (in that order) over the last 10 months. I figured there wasn't much point in getting something that was designed to be mounted (semi) permanently on gear if I didn't have the gear to mount it on (no thanks on a mega-knife strapped on my calf). I would do it again in the same order if I had to (I'll give my reasoning for that order if anybody's interested).

tofucute has a really good idea if your not finding a suit that you feel fits you comfortably, that might be a good reason to consider the neosport suits, they are good suits and pretty affordable. I've got a 3-2 Neosport and have basically come to the conclusion that they are just as good as the more expensive Henderson suits that I have also tried. If you plan to dive a lot of warm water and don't easily get cold you might consider just finding a decent dive skin, I've found that in most conditions where the water temp is much over 70 I prefer that to putting on my wetsuit, but I'm pretty warm blooded, or so I've been told.

I'd be careful with those brands. Billabong and Quiksilver tend to design surfing equipment. Surfing wetsuits and diving wetsuits are not exactly the same. The quality of neoprene can be lower in surfing suits and it can compress at depth and lose its insulation. Like the others have said, talk to your local dive shop and try some suits on to see what fits and what doesn't.

People keep saying this like it's fact but the simple truth is one wetsuit is as good as another as long as it fits. My Billabong is the oldest suit I have (~10-11 years now) and works much better (keeps me warmer) than a brand new aqualung suit I have.

To the OP, if it fits and has the features you like, the brand name or "design use" will make no difference whatsoever. Oh yeah, the "extra stretchy" means it will compress more and get colder at depth than a "standard" suit.

As for other gear like regs etc, I bought regs before I finished my OW class and I'm quite happy with them. I bought used gear, had it serviced and ended up with much better quality gear for a significantly lower price than if I had bought new with the same budget. (I couldn't have bought anything new with the budget I was working with). Buying your own gear will help motivate you to dive more and dive locally. Both good things.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is buying a computer. It was one of the first things we bought because I didn't want to have to learn a new model every trip.

(I'm just playing devil's advocate here) I still don't have a computer and it will be the last piece of equipment I buy. Why? Because you don't need one. Do I want one? Yeah. Need one? Absolutely NOT! Dive tables have kept myself and many others alive and DCS free without the need of a computer. I guess this also depends on your course though, as it seems some shops now offer the option to disregard tables and use a computer only (a crying shame, in my opinion).

Very sound advice with the safety gear though! Especially considering how cheap and small these items are!

Thanks for all the great advice!! I have lots to think about now!

I went to a local dive shop this past weekend and tried on a Henderson suit. It didn't fit me perfectly. The shop owner also recommended a 5mm suit for warm water diving for me. And he didn't feel my proportions would fit well into a junior's suit... However, I won't know until I try one on, which I still want to.

Bare wetsuits look really nice...gonna try to find a local retailer carrying size 4.

Where do you go about finding used equipment to purchase?

Thank you so much everyone for the awesome help and the warm welcomes!! :)

I didn't realize there was such a big difference between surfing wetsuits and scuba wetsuits... I'll go try some stuff on this weekend and hopefully something will fit! Seems like most of the youth-sized wetsuits are made for surfing...

As for a backplate/wing setup...I've seen this mentioned before and also saw a thread where a couple other petite people highly recommended it. Sounds like it might work better for me... How much (on average) can I expect to pay for this type of BC? Does it all come together or all separate pieces?

I am a hard fit in the best of circumstances... I went to couple of lds' to me and hit the 'sale room' because they have all sorts of brands and sizes. I noticed immed the problem I always have... the wetsuits are designed for someone with a lot more 'chest' than I have and they are mock turtlenecks. I am not fond of things close to my neck like that. I ended up at the lds that I purchased my BC from, Bill Jackson. They were more interested in fitting me correctly than a sale. Another reason they get my business. The style is 'deep sea' brand AquaLung. I chose a farmer jane because I dive/snorkel/kayak in both fresh water springs and the Gulf of Mexico. I can layer for the environment and water temp I am in. works for me.. I know that I wear an extra small fin, so buying online is okay... mask lds.. I have a cressi big eye and a quattro.. I am five three, wt ; 123lbs, wear a size 10 I suspect you will do a size 6 in this particular brand.
two snorkels.. a cressi dry and a regular cheapie body glove. looking at one, I think it is, zeagle makes..

My regular and 1st stage is a sherwood brut..octo scubamax . had them simply forever, had them serviced and the old octo was dead and had it replaced, rest was just o rings.. and a comfi-fit small mouthpiece..

I would suggest renting or trying on more than a few BC's. Mine is a ScubaPro LadyHawk. My decision was based in part on brandname and quality and the style. This is not one of those bcs that has a wrap front like a jacket. those left me feeling claustrophobic. In truth I am sorry I bought it... but only because the BP/W is more to my liking and very similar to what I learned in.
Still 'interviewing' fins... have not found one I like more than the other.. and looking at split fins due to knee injury.. ymmv 'bella

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom