Big Island on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avlena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

We're planning to go to Big Island at the end of March, but unfortunately, we're on a tight budget. Any general tips or recommendations on places to stay, travel sites to book through, etc?

Since we probably won't be able to afford a lot of guided boat dives, how's the shore diving there?

Thanks!!
-Avlena

Kona and the Kohala areas have lots of decent shore diving. I generally recommend you look at shoredivekona.com and shorediving.com for ideas for shore diving here. Pretty much anywhere you can get in the water away from sand is good diving here. The boats will get you to spots you can't necessarily easily access from shore, and their guides should help you find oddball critters you might not find otherwise. If the manta dive is hopping off the airport while you are here, you owe it to yourself to catch a boat for that one.

There are some more budget type of accommodations available in Kona if you know where to look. For budget hotels in Kailua, I generally recommend the Kona Seaside for a basic hotel that is reasonably priced and clean. The Royal Kona has some deals from time to time. The Kona Tiki has it's charms and has a lot of long time faithful customers. There's tons of condos here, and you can get a lot of bang for the buck with them, especially if you want to cook rather than eating out every meal. Check out VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner for condos. You'll be dealing with individual owners through that site and there can be some decent deals depending on how busy it is here.

Have fun!

I am planning a trip to Big Island this year and picked up Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" 5th Edition for assistance in planning the trip. They have info on shore dives that you won't find anywhere else, as well as tons of other things to do on the island.

Thumbs up for Kona Tiki..... bout the same price as the seaside and some rooms have kitchenette.

Isn't there a Kona Shore Diving book with maps and such? Think I saw it at Jacks last time I was over.....

G

The book we picked up from there is a spiral back and is called Let's Go Shore Dive'n Kona Hawaii by Dick Dresie

Thanks all! We ended up deciding to push the trip until August, so it gives me a lot more time for research & budgeting! :)

If you are staying on the hilo side, I recommend Uncle Billy's Hula Hut.

Peace,
Greg

We stayed at Uncle Billys in Kona for 13 nights & Uncle Billys in Hilo for 1 night. The one in Hilo is a bit fancier but we were perfectly happy at Uncle Billys in Kona too. They are right on the main street so very close to restaurants & shopping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom