Big Island help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopaka:
Didn't I read Mauna Kea resort was closed due to quake damage? Beach (that I love) is still open, but unknown duration for resort repair.

And I dunno about that blackwater dive stuff. That's when the big squid come up to feed.......................

I do believe it is closed.

Lynn and Peter I think I get what you’re aiming for and frankly it’s more complicated than you may realize. It’s doable I’m sure but the proximity and financial aspects may be a big challenge in the logistics combining three types of accommodation. There are a lot of rental properties along Alii Drive and the houses look very inviting but I expect the price reflects the ocean front location. Where more economical homes might be in say Palisades or Captain Cook, there aren’t any condos or hotels.

All rental properties owned by non residents must be managed professionally. They usually have a variety of properties to select from. Many, many owners are non residents and rent out their homes and condos. In one condo building for example each unit may be managed and rented differently. The easiest solution would be get a property management company to work it out – just like a complicated travel plan, let the travel agent figure it out.
But they will probably only tell you about the properties they manage. Maybe they would consider a bulk discount though.

Some are: Hawaii Vacation Rentals, Big Island Accommodations Lodging. Ask Rick Inmann about the house he stays at. I think I saw it and it did look like a great place with the bigger (and gorgeous grounds) hotels just down the road.
Hawaiian Dream Properties : Main Search (can’t get the hyperlink right, look for vacation rentals on the L sidebar. Waikoloa area.
C.J. Kimberly - Properties in Paradise The last one is 4 bdrm, but most offered are in Kona.
http://sunquest-hawaii.com/favicon.ico
ResortQuest Hawaii formerly Aston Hotels & Resorts Island Homepage

However there are plenty of people renting out homes that are local as well. I know of one with sort of a bunkroom as well as bedrooms and held a lot of people and was managed by the windsurfing dude at A Bay.
We’ve had as many as 12 people in my house (2 bedrooms, 3 bath) not a big problem really because many liked sleeping out on the lanais anyway. So there may be more places to sleep than bedrooms.

You might want to see if LavaSurfer has any ideas. Injohn, a really nice guy, has housing somewhere in Waikoloa and may consider renting it out if his family isn’t on island then. Waikaloa village (the beach complex) has an awful lot of buildings….

I know there are fairly large properties available and may accommodate most if not all people. (Visiting families and all the entourage - like rock and movie stars.) Your situation – a lot of people together for some event - is very common also. I used to work for a Wedding Planner and the big groups stayed in the North Kohala area, a bit of a drive to the Kona diving. The biggest problem was getting enough security to make them happy. They’d travel in a pack in one of the many stretch limos, LOL. There are places to rent Vans too though.

I suggest figuring out total budget for accommodation, location preference and how many bedrooms necessary. Break it out as far as the people go who needs what. Do the condo people want to fix their own meals and the hotel folk want a variety of onsite restaurants? Handicapped access or stair climbs ok, a lot of the vacation rentals I see in the Kona area are above the parking – space is at a premium. Then pick one aspect, the most important for all people in the party, and move out from there in this search for the perfect party. If money is no object I’d say look to the Kohala area. If close proximity to everything is important I’d say stick to Kona and probably around Alii Drive.

Whatever you do, you’ve got the right idea to figure this out well in advance and in particular if the timing is anywhere close to the big Christmas – New Year’s Holiday. Last year I counted 30 some private jets parked at the airport. Winter is the paradise high season so I’d be looking for locked in rates the sooner the better also.

A resource you may find helpful is The Ready Map Book of West Hawaii. It’s got an index for streets, hotels etc. Also get TBI map with dive sites for Island perspective and The Big Island Revealed has reviews of accommodations and dining etc. Here is West Hawaii Today classifieds.

I choreographed my mainland sister-in-law and friends surprise 50th birthday party, lot of work and it wasn’t done remotely. (They rented 2 jeeps, some special deal that was slightly more than one larger car and it was a gas doing the 4 wheel sights.) If you come up with some locations and want my perspective on something I’m willing to do some scouting for you. And of course, willing to help any way I can.
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom