Big Island 1st week Apr.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Should I book diving ahead for the Manta dive first week in Apr., or just wait till we get there as maybe the Mantas won't be showing up? Or, should we book because you can't get on a boat if we don't book ahead?

I would book ahead. We were there last June and booked it twice, once the first night after our arrival and again 4 nights later just in case no mantas showed up. We were very lucky to have a full house both dives! Amazing. Look into taking the black water dive as well, you won’t regret it one bit.

We also used Big Island Divers. Terrific people.

Easter is early enough in March that most of the spring break business will probably be tailing off... anyone here got kids that can chime in? If spring breaks are happening then, all bets are off as far as short notice bookings. During spring break, advance booking is really worthwhile. I'd say if you aren't flexible with your schedule, at least a week or two advance would be helpful. If you wait 'til a day or two ahead of time you may be making several phone calls but you should probably be able to find a spot.

The mantas are very consistant off Keauhou, usually 1-3 nightly, and several of us will go down there if it's not happening at Garden Eel Cove and the conditions aren't horrible. If the mantas are at Gardern Eel Cove, that's a much preferred dive site as the manta numbers are generally larger, there's more moorings, it's more protected from swells and there's nice reef to look at at the tail end of the dive. As long as you book with someone who's willing to do either site, you've got a pretty good shot at seeing the mantas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom